Does religion introduce harm?

As far as I am concerned, absolutely yes.

I’ll just repeat what i said:

I do NOT agree it is the religion itself. Maybe the specific pastors are snake oil salesmen. Maybe they are ignorant. Don’t blame religion for that.

Is there anything that can be done? Would it help if other Christian leaders spoke out and shunned these tecalcitrant pastors?

Thanks.

I think they are kind of like cops. Don’t want to “turn” on their brothers/sisters…even if they are causing harm vs good. “who are we to judge?”

No religion does not induce harm. Not at all. But there are certain selfish people who do.

Others have, do, and will continue to do so.

Yes. Most have. The entire catholic church is compliant. And nearly 100 percent of the other denominations are as well. Being a Christian does not mean you cannot be a nit wit.

As I noted in another reply here, it’s not limited to Christian pastors. I’m seeing a certain attempt here to focus the problem on Christian churches, but it’s not limited to the handful of Christian pastors who have made the news. Not by a long shot.

I’m dealing with what is going on here in America and what I hear. I don’t mean to imply that non-Christians are not acting poorly as well. I’m sure there are bad actors in all religions.

Examples of all religious stripes are happening here, in the USA.

But specific to the bolded part, the media have an over-arching vendetta against Christianity, which is likely why you only hear what you hear.

1 Like

Feel free to post something about another faith and I will comment. Around 75% of America is Christian.

I always wonder when someone spouts such nonsense if they actually know Christ. All of the evils you have mentioned are NOT of him, but of MEN deliberately or ignorantly using his name as justification. You said correctly " under the guise of the Christian faith." You do understand that your very words imply you know they were not really representing Christianity right? Why do you fall into the liberal mindset of continuing to blame Christ for the evils men do then? It sounds like you follow the equally unchristian teachings of black liberation preachers like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Jeremiah Wright.

No one denies the evils done throughout history in the name of Jesus, but there are many preachers out there, and lay Christians who are teaching and spreading the truth. Jesus doesn’t hate anyone, but he hates what people do, and those who misuse his name will give account for it.

1 Like

For starters, Google DeBlasio shutting down synagogues in NYC. Like Christian leaders who speak out against the handful of churches that are still gathering, most synagogue leaders are speaking out against those few rabbis that are continuing to meet.

You asked a question in the present tense. You got an answer referring to stuff from 150-200 years ago.

When someone wants to denigrate someone or something, they’ll dig up whatever mud than can and spin a nice vase on the pottery wheel with the mud.

I’ve never heard any sincere Christians praise Trump for his character. But God does use non- Christians for his purposes too. Sometimes those people God uses repent of their evil and then turn around and accept him for who he is and then serve and glorify him for the rest of their lives.

Trump has done a lot of evil. ( just like the rest of us) I don’t know if Trump has actually accepted Christ, but I do know that Trump has publicly given God the glory and credit for creation, publicly spoken against abortion, and has openly supported the Christian cause since he’s been elected. His actions have supported his words SINCE he’s been elected. Could he be lying just to gain votes? Possibly so, and he will be held accountable at judgement if that is the case. I also know that Liberals by and large hate God, Jesus Christ, and Christians in general. They support Anti-Christian abominations like homosexuality, abortion and all other forms of sexual immorality. They also very publicly booed God and voted to keep him out of their platform altogether in 2012! The alleged Christian Democrats who used to be against abortion have sold out their positions for votes absolutely…

Not really a big surprise then that Christians and Republicans will support Trump against ANY Democrat whatsoever is it?

1 Like

Any religion that promotes “one wayside” is going to find its followers are more susceptible to issues like this.

When you feel like you’re a member of an “exclusive club and those who aren’t aren’t just wrong…they’re condemned by God?

Hoo boy…

I noticed that. What I responded to was presented as present tense. That’s why I asked for current examples that demonstrated their point. None so far.:thinking:

I’m shocked…

Nope it has more to do with the fact that christians are the majority in this country.

Matthew 19:29 New International Version (NIV)

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life

Jesus don’t like family I guess.

Matthew 10:34-37 New International Version (NIV)

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Yea nice guy.

Luke 14:26 New International Version (NIV)

26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

Now here’s a hater.

Now of course you will claim that I have misinterpreted his words, sorry but nope its pretty clear.