Does religion introduce harm?

A minister in Louisiana continued in person church services despite the current coronavirus crisis hitting Louisiana especially hard. Asked what separates his church from the many others that chose to not have in person services…”conviction”.

People introduce harm.

1 Like

Historically, yes.

Example of why religion is so destructive.

1 Like

I agree that having services in a crowded church is creating a large risk to both the congregation and the surrounding community. If they insist on having services, it would be much safer to have them outside with plenty of space between people.

Personally I see a bigger problem with government-run mass transit monopolies that are still subjecting train and bus riders to crowded conditions in Philadelphia and New York City. The riders are essential employees that have little choice in the matter:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-philadelphia-union-president-doesn-e2-80-99t-believe-e2-80-98septa-is-taking-it-serious-enough-e2-80-99-after-13-employees-test-positive/ar-BB11YJOq

Didn’t god make us so we would love him? Isn’t that in Genesis? If not, it’s a Billy Graham thing:

I would venture a guess that the subways are helping spread it in NY.

As for church services we are going the video route for now. We can hear the sermons at home.

Before Secularism:

“Let’s go kill those damn Catholic French!”

After Secularism:

“Let’s go kill those damn French!”

1 Like

Yes, my church recording private liturgies with only a priest and cantor participating.

Our priest is from Ukraine, where our church was banned by law for 40 years when the Soviets ran things. The priest makes frequent reference to attending underground services as a child. Priests who were caught were frequently sent to prison.

While there certainly have been people who have misused religion, militant atheism has arguably killed far more people in just the 20th century than all the religious wars throughout history.

2 Likes

As Jesus said.

1 Like

Just wait and see. Everything a person does makes karma, good or bad. Religion has been misused and misunderstood. True sages are persecuted, even by some who think they are religious. The effect of that is inevitable.

Then dingalings come along and blame a religion, rather than those who are hypocrites twisting religion. No karma is erased without pure faith. No goodness is recognized without persecution and sacrifice.

The irreligious or slanderers are on the level of lower animals. “Religion” doesn’t “introduce harm” amongst animals. They fight each other and kill without a trace of religion. But the animality is the same in people.

1 Like

If I were to interpret scripture to guide me through this…I would use…“to be first, you must be last”. IOW…if I believed that I was already infected with the virus, would I go and attend this service? IMO…all of us must consider that we are infected…and act accordingly.

1 Like

That’s perfect.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be condescending here or argumentative, but is that because we are sinners that fall short of the glory of the god?
[/quote]

Exactly. The problem with the “good person” issue is that we all judge goodness with a bias. We can be good, law abiding, tax paying citizens with empathy for others. We can not though, get into Heaven by our goodness.

We’ll put!

Religion isn’t what causes the harm.

It’s the blind acceptance as things without even the slightest bit of critical analysis that causes the harm.

Religion just capitalizes on the default human mindset, is all.

Refresh my memory because I’m drawing a blank when it comes to wars fought by militant atheists.

Here is another pastor. This one says he can heal Coronavirus through the tv screen. He has also blown a wind to get rid of Coronavirus altogether. Seems dangerous for his listeners.

And yet, mothers and fathers love their children too. Even the ones that do bad things. Are they stupid?

1 Like

I disagree, there are a great number of people that will never have access or be able to read a bible just because of the location they are raised in.

Will these people be able to pass into heaven?
[/quote]

You assume reading the Bible is the only way to gain the truth. I agree, it is much easier with a Bible to learn the truth, but one important scripture to keep in mind is in Matthew 7 " Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened into you. For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

God is not looking for reasons to condemn us but giving us every hope of finding him.