Does religion introduce harm?

A minister in Louisiana continued in person church services despite the current coronavirus crisis hitting Louisiana especially hard. Asked what separates his church from the many others that chose to not have in person services…”conviction”.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/louisiana-pastor-coronavirus-cnn-214913547.html

People introduce harm.

1 Like

Historically, yes.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. Steven Weinberg

4 Likes

There’s no such thing as a good person.

Sure there is. i would argue humans are good, in general. Empathy is what makes us want to be good. Many other animals have empathy as well.

There are always exceptions. Sadly, that gets proven everyday.

Example of why religion is so destructive.

1 Like

If that is the case, seems like God’s pretty stupid to love us.

I agree that having services in a crowded church is creating a large risk to both the congregation and the surrounding community. If they insist on having services, it would be much safer to have them outside with plenty of space between people.

Personally I see a bigger problem with government-run mass transit monopolies that are still subjecting train and bus riders to crowded conditions in Philadelphia and New York City. The riders are essential employees that have little choice in the matter:

Didn’t god make us so we would love him? Isn’t that in Genesis? If not, it’s a Billy Graham thing:

I would venture a guess that the subways are helping spread it in NY.

As for church services we are going the video route for now. We can hear the sermons at home.

Before Secularism:

“Let’s go kill those damn Catholic French!”

After Secularism:

“Let’s go kill those damn French!”

1 Like

Nope.

He wants fear and worship, not love. That’s what’s in Genesis and throughout the whole Bible.

But my point was God’s love for us, not our love for God.

Everytime I see people whine “Oh I’m not worthy of God’s love, but he loves me anyway,” I just shake my head.

If you’re not worthy of his love, then he doesn’t love you.

The idea is to make yourself worthy of his love

There’s no such thing as a good person.
[/quote]

I’m not trying to be condescending here or argumentative, but is that because we are sinners that fall short of the glory of the god?

Yes, my church recording private liturgies with only a priest and cantor participating.

Our priest is from Ukraine, where our church was banned by law for 40 years when the Soviets ran things. The priest makes frequent reference to attending underground services as a child. Priests who were caught were frequently sent to prison.

While there certainly have been people who have misused religion, militant atheism has arguably killed far more people in just the 20th century than all the religious wars throughout history.

2 Likes

On judgement day try that one!

As Jesus said.

1 Like

Just wait and see. Everything a person does makes karma, good or bad. Religion has been misused and misunderstood. True sages are persecuted, even by some who think they are religious. The effect of that is inevitable.

Then dingalings come along and blame a religion, rather than those who are hypocrites twisting religion. No karma is erased without pure faith. No goodness is recognized without persecution and sacrifice.

The irreligious or slanderers are on the level of lower animals. “Religion” doesn’t “introduce harm” amongst animals. They fight each other and kill without a trace of religion. But the animality is the same in people.

1 Like

If I were to interpret scripture to guide me through this…I would use…“to be first, you must be last”. IOW…if I believed that I was already infected with the virus, would I go and attend this service? IMO…all of us must consider that we are infected…and act accordingly.

1 Like

That’s perfect.

1 Like