Does religion introduce harm?

I don’t think it’s religion itself, but it’s people who use religion as a means to push flawed ideologies, personal agendas, along with political and racial biases. This transcends all the different faiths because it happens in all of them. From those who use Islam as a reason to blow people up, to using Christianity to enslave and terrorize people, to the current cult of American evangelicalism. It’s not religion, it’s people.
For me I believe the Word, however people use the Word for selfish and sometimes sinister reasons and then have the bloody nerve to call it God’s work.

Do you choose Yeshua or Barabas? I think many within the Christian faith, the faith I believe in, have chosen Barabas.

**[quote=“Jamerican, post:31, topic:229592, full:true”]
I don’t think it’s religion itself, but it’s people who use religion as a means to push flawed ideologies, personal agendas, along with political and racial biases. This transcends all the different faiths because it happens in all of them. From those who use Islam as a reason to blow people up, to using Christianity to enslave and terrorize people, to the current cult of American evangelicalism. It’s not religion, it’s people.
For me I believe the Word, however people use the Word for selfish and sometimes sinister reasons and then have the bloody nerve to call it God’s work.

Do you choose Yeshua or Barabas? I think many within the Christian faith, the faith I believe in, have chosen Barabas.
[/quote]

Christianity is enslaving and terrorizing people??

You think evangelicals are a cult do you? :roll_eyes:

It did, here in America. We(black people) were called savages who needed Christ to civilize us and make us obedient servants. Then after the reconstruction the Klan under the guise of the Christian faith committed terrorist acts for decades. So yeah, enslave and terrorize people. Go back and read what I said, It wasn’t necessarily the faith, but it was the people who used the faith for their own sinister reasons.

Here in America…yeah.
Once politics became intertwined within the Body of Christ our focus shifted to politicians and partisan politics and off of Yeshua and His teachings.

Politics are never brought up at church. Never have been at any of the churches i have attended over my nearly 67 years.

I have to say nonsense to your claim.

1 Like

You’re either being disingenuous or ignorant because politics has definitely crept itself into the faith. So it’s actually nonsense that you dismiss the claim.

Nope just telling it like it is.

What are you basing your claims on…other than feelings?

1 Like

You’re not and never had
Not basing my claims on feelings, but actual facts. So are you saying that politicians don’t dangle things like abortion and gay marriage(before it became legal) in our faces every national election to get our vote? Are you saying some Christian leaders (The Franklin Graham’s, Paula White’s, et al of the world) have not been in bed with politics? Come on gooddad :face_with_raised_eyebrow: stop playing games in trying to dismiss my point.

So if a couple of so called leaders(never even heard of White till recent years) get some what involved with politics then it is ok to broadbrush all evangelicals? Really???

As for your point(???) of politicians trying to get our vote…what exactly is your point?

How does that translate into what is being preached in hundreds of thousands evangelical churches that never make headlines of any kind?

Churches that are preaching the Gospel rather than politics.

I think you have little to no knowledge of what is actually going on there.

1 Like

Most parents don’t believe there’s no goodness in their children.

This response by itself shows you either don’t have a clue or you’re just being flat out dishonest. Those some leaders are conveying the message to the masses and it’s flowing down throughout the Body of Christ. The rabid support for this President and all his nonsense/sinful behavior is a clear indicator that the politics has intertwined itself into the faith because WE ARE NOT REBUKING HIM. In this country we have become the loveless church, the worldly church, the false doctrine church, the spiritually dead church and the lukewarm church and one of the reasons is the way politics have crept its way in. Which one do you belong to?
I think we’re done here gooddad :face_with_raised_eyebrow: because you’re not being honest

To be ignorant of the mix of evangelical and politics is not believable.

1 Like

Sigh…

Another thread of pearls-before-swine and swine-trampling-pearls posts.

It’s the same whenever atheists slog into religion to convince others (and themselves) that they’ve chosen well.

To address the actual issue raised by the OP, there have always been snake-oil salesmen using religion as a platform, as well as horribly misguided (and even ignorant) leaders who have led other people over the cliff with them. It is found in every religious discipline, for at least as long as recorded history.

It’s not the religion itself though, because in almost any such recorded case (as we’re seeing with the rare examples of leaders still gathering congregants together – in multiple faith disciplines) there are countless other leader of their respective disciplines telling them, “Sir, that is NOT what we teach.”)

Oh i’m being very honest here you just don’t like what i have to say.

Of the 2 people you listed I doubt White is an evangelical to begin with.

Franklin Graham is a decent man but certainly not anyone i would consider a “leader”(am not even a Baptist). We look at Jesus as our leader and the head of the church.

Your claim that there is rabid support for our president’s behavior just isn’t so. Some of his policies such as being pro life and appointing judges accordingly are worth supporting however.This is on an individual basis however and certainly not preached from the pulpit.

Are politics preached from your churches pulpit? If so why do you attend there?

Just curious.

1 Like

Pretty much all religions are cults. Some are more intense than others.

So, Islam is not the problem, it is it’s followers that warp the meaning?

So in the case of the OP, you agree religion is being used to metaphorically “walk people over the cliff”. Is there anything that can be done?

I’m pretty much aware of your opinion at this point. No news there.

It is not an opinion.

cult

/kəlt/

noun

1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Not all cults are bad.

The early years of Blue Oyster Cult were very good.

I am very familiar evangelicals. John Hagee, Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, etc…

Then you have the milder versions Joel Osteen.

Those…are cults. And not good ones.

Small neighborhood religious churches, synagogues, and Mosques that support their members, are good versions of cults.

As are all religions.