Do you trust The Whitehouse and big tech to control "disinformation?"

Your attitude seems to have changed.

You’re right.

Both parties are snakes, criminals, and careerists.

I’ve never trusted the state to determine what is information and what is misinformation.

If the individual social media sites wish to do so, that is their prerogative. It is their platform.

But the state has absolutely no business being in such matters.

1 Like

Keep moving those goalposts.

No, my post said that at this time, there is no link either judicial or legislative, between the socials and government. The socials are private corporations, and therefore by definition, not violating the first ammendment.

This may change, but until then, there is simply no first ammendment cause against the socials.

There in lies the rub. If you allow one party to be the arbiters of what is deemed disinformation and subsequently suppressed, what ever ideas they promote will inherently find consensus.

1 Like

The government has a right to respond to disinformation being levied against it.

Precisely, what does the government have the right to do in this regard?

To respond to disinformation being levied against it.

Say there was a popular trend of posts that claimed that the vaccine was for government mind control. If the government were to alert the platforms that this is not true and here are the facts… and maybe if you could counter that obvious disinfo that would be super cool… That is not a violation of First Amendment rights.

The social media platform is free to do as it wishes.

In over your head.

Governments don’t have rights.

2 Likes

Okay then.

Responsibility.

Is that an okay word to use in this game of semantics?

1 Like

I agree that the government is within it’s power to publish a rebuttal. Where it would be clearly over the line is requesting to silence the disinformation. I think it’s a bit in the grey claiming it’s all false knowing what the likely outcome will be.

2 Likes

A private company is under no obligation to comply.

Not a first amendment issue.

It wouldn’t be a violation by the company, it would be a violation by the government or requesting agency thereof.

I don’t see making a request as a violation.

Making it criminal or attachment of a penalty would be a violation.

I do.

FBI: “hey Apple, we don’t have a warrant per say, but you think you can crack this IPhone for us so we can take a look see at what this guy’s been up too?”

Just a request.

2 Likes

That actually happened.

Apple said go pound sand.

Yes, I remeber…of course the FBI did have a warrant to search the phone at the time.

And if I remember correctly Apples issue was with the software it needed to develope in order to crack it may get out in the wild.

So even in a legal matter, a private company has the ability to resist.

An administration pointing out disinfo is not a first amendment violation.