Do millennials really know who and what they're really voting for?

In fairness, my enthusiasm is probably not hurt by the fact that with the exception of a touch of gray in my beard, I still look the same as I did at eighteen.

It really triggers them when they get called ‘dude’. I’m Gen-X and I call EVERYONE dude.

Hey, they’re are old coots and cranks of all political stripes.

For the DC elites? Yes. That’s a little bit new. But heckling and harassing isn’t new in general.

It’s lazy to substitute someone else’s opinion for yours.

Isnt every generation more liberal than the one that came before?

Ya know what would be a wacky idea (beyond laying on our fainting couches and braying on about the kids today)? Look at actuall studies of how millennials consume information. Turns out it’s probably more advanced than yelling at fox news all day.

Older peoole’s brains are equally susceptible to manipulation.

No, I don’t think so.

Nah, the only correlation seems to be growing up in the shadow of an economic collapse and has remained constant since the 1870s.

And I don’t need a FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD to confirm that.

I worry about my elderly relatives and scams and frauds. I’ve seen them ■■■■■■ over first hand. I have less concern for my younger relatives.

I don’t think my girl has ever watched a network newscast in her life; if she has it was a streaming video and a randomly chosen link.

No! They’re watching that liberal Eric Sevareid, taking their cues from the Bay City Rollers, and trying to act like that degenerate Fonzie on Happy Times. Is it any wonder our republic is going up in a disco inferno?

2 Likes

SmartSelect_20180710-093244_Drive

And old minds have made a lot of bad decisions that have to be justified after the fact. People get paid a lot of money to convince old folks that they were right and that the media is just hiding the evidence of it.

I said without straw men, but you couldn’t resist.

Conservative stances (and not my liberal caricature of them) in no particular order:

• Second Amendment rights - few limitations like background checks and age restrictions.
  • Gay marriage - get government out of it, should be between a man and a woman.
  • End affirmative action.
  • Reduce government regulations, let the free market decide.
  • Oppose universal healthcare - let the free market decide.
  • Oppose minimum wage increases - let the free market decide.
  • Decrease public education spending, shift public funds to private schools via vouchers.
  • Climate Change - generally skeptical, planet has cold and hot periods, current warming is hardly the cause of human actions.
  • Increase border security - generally no pathway to citizenship for current illegal immigrants, reduce legal immigration (this is more recent as an effect of Trump).
  • Cut taxes.
  • Reduce government spending (they at least have to give a hat tip to this, they don’t really mean it).
1 Like

I was born on the cusp. 1989. So while I spent my young childhood in the analog world I spent my late childhood/pre-teen years connected. I didn’t get my first cellphone until I was 15; N-Gage QD. So I jumped on the smartphone bandwagon way before it was cool. I had Symbian phones and Windows Mobile phones for years before the iPhone came out.

Basically same here - except it’s because I still can’t grow a beard.

Also, don’t say No problem instead of You’re welcome or Federalist ■■■■■■■■ Tom Nicholas will lose it. He wrote a whole column about it. Which gets at something important about today’s American right: they’re politics are definitely informed and shaped by their grievances around unsatisfying customer-service experiences, in which peons are just not deferential enough, or not deferential in the right way, or something.

1 Like

The OP really doesn’t know who Millennials are.
They do not watch the Mainstream news outlets.
They get their news from various sources, some of those sources can be more bias than the Mainstream news outlets. But also a group tend to listen to longer deeper conversations from people Like Ruben , Bret and Eric Weinstein , Shapiro and others in this “Intellectual Dark Web” that has begun.
Many Millennials and younger are seeking deeper conversations to form their opinions on politics. And finding where people can meet and have civil discussions.
I think we will see a rebound from the Obama/ Trump era where people will have more civility to each others opinions. (I hope so)

The irony in your response is that those can indeed be conservative bastions because people can and do curate their network to be an echo chamber for whatever ideology they prefer.

Most people, young and old, don’t really care about anything beyond what affects them personally.

I’m a World War I fanatic. I don’t know anyone else, either in my age group or even in the older age groups, who know much of anything about World War I beyond “didn’t they fight in trenches?”

Its not just young people like me who don’t care. Most people generally don’t care. And why should they? It doesn’t put food on their table. Or get their car note paid. Or push towards a downpayment on a house.

Unfortunately my generation as a whole is having to do more with less. Union labor is dead. Wages are stagnant and will either remain at current levels or decrease. Our retirements will suck relative to your generation.

But some of us are doing the best with it. It is what it is.