Dems to request Trump tax Returns

There’s that word “abuse” again. That must be the new response by Fox, Rush, et al.

Soon everybody of a certain political persuasion will be using the term “abuse,” and most of them will actually think that they thought of it.

To get votes.

Try again… the first president to release their tax returns proactively was Ford… After the Nixon tax scandal… You know, the one where the Congressional Joint Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation decided to not impeach Nixon for tax evasion… Nixon subsequently paid over $400K in back taxes… Want to take a stab out how they got Nixon’s tax returns?

They don’t care, and propaganda really works.

I used to think of the adherents of propaganda in history books as mentally weak individuals who got sucked into some weird, false groupthink because they lacked character or courage and were unintelligent enough to be duped by the endless repetition of the ridiculous.

Now that I’m living through it, I know that’s what most of them are.

I usually find that when someone tries to Gish Gallop unrelated things means that they don’t really know too much about the subject outside of what they want to know.

How many CRA complaint loans was Countrywide forced to make?

3 Likes

Of what? The IRS?

You are right … of total gridlock.

And that is NOT great news for the American people.

Yes. And the administration.

How would demanding Trump’s tax returns do that?

Get to know how the wealthy among us get away with exploiting loopholes and get to know how the IRS holds them accountable, or doesn’t. Also get to know what Trump’s personal stake is with any tax law changes. Also get a chance to identify any underlying fraud that hasn’t been identified by the IRS.

Treasury secretary “shall furnish” if they are reduested.

It’s the law.

Allan

It appears you need to have the difference explained to you. Not entirely shocking…

First, I 100% agree with you concerning investigating leaks potentially damage national security. If there have been leaks from these members, than they should be investigated. However, what exactly is he referring to? He seems to imply he has knowledge of some sort of leak made by an unnamed member(s) of Congress. If so, then why aren’t investigations underway as we speak? If he’s aware of something so critical to our national security, why would he sit on it and instead of acting on it? Why would he keep it in his back pocket to use as a threat on Twitter? These are all rhetorical questions, of course. He has nothing, he simply issued yet another hollow threat… seems to be his m.o. when he’s on the defensive. He does it to rile up the base… throw a little red meat, and they’re happy for the afternoon. Need further evidence? Clinton? “Lock her up” was, and still is, repeated ad nauseam at his rallies, he claimed during the debates that he was going to look into her, should he be elected. Well he was. Up until yesterday he controlled all branches of govt. and yet no investigation has occurred since he took office, despite continuing these claims on Twitter and at rallies. Why? Anyone with even ounce of common sense knows why… but the real question to me is, when are Trumpsters going to wise up and understand that “Lock Her Up” is just a meaningless chant, just like his empty threats?

As for taxes, let’s put this all in context. This wasnt an issue until he proclaimed towards the latter stages of his campaign that he would not release his taxes… the first to do so in something like four decades. He then tried to claim that he was being audited by the IRS and couldnt release them… only to find out that theres nothing that prevents him from doing so. A lie. But this was also around the same time we were learning about supposed ties to Russia. Remember when the news broke about that meeting at Trump Tower with Don Jr. and that “nobody” Russian chick about adoptions? Of course you do, remember… it was all a “nothing burger”… Trump said so himself. Ends up being another lie. Do I need to remind you of how that story unfolded? Lie after lie was told in a pathetic attempt to divert attention from the actual topic of the meeting. First it was about adoption, but then Don Jr (in perhaps his greatest genius move) released the emails detailing the Russians may have damaging info on Clinton… and lo and behold nothing about adoption. First Jared wasn’t there, only to find out later he was. Im not even going into it all, far too much ground to cover… good timeline of events at this link: A Timeline of Trump Tower Meeting Responses - FactCheck.org The point is he has a demonstrated pattern of behavior of simply saying whatever he wants, whenever he wants, apparently not aware of his own contradictions, but most importantly, doesn’t seem to care.

So his taxes. You seem to imply that since the IRS has seen his taxes, there’s nothing more to be seen right? Yet you’ve probably heard of the recent news of his own father evading millions in taxes in transferring his wealth to his children? Did the IRS not catch that before? What about Manafort, sure you’ve heard of where he’s at these days? You think the IRS never saw his taxes? It’s only slightly humorous that the right in this thread is somehow lending legitimacy to the IRS… again, if only we had the old boards around. So yes, many of us, myself included, believe Trump is compromised by Russia due to past illegal ties, money laundering, etc. It only makes sense at this point. His complete and inexplicable admiration of Putin. Him targeting members of the FBI and Muellers team that have a long professional history of investigating and prosecuting Russian organized crime. Eric Trumps admission that they don’t need much funding, because Russia takes care of most of it. Their ties with Deutsche Bank, who has a known history of laundering money for Russian organized crime. There’s the various real estate deals with Russian billionaires. And theres far more. Now, this could all be one enormous coincidence… or, just maybe, there’s something there. Something Trump is intent on hiding and has his lapdogs like Nunes willing to abandon any shred of decency and integrity to never let this stuff see the light of day.

And seriously, after the sheer number of investigations instigated by Republicans during Obama’s time in office, and more so never once getting anything to stick, your party has a lot of nerve to try and talk about pointless investigations or wasting tax payer money.

2 Likes

You didnt seem to mind about 10 years ago.

“We’re going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.” - John Boehner, in reference to Obamas agenda.

‘my number one priority is making sure president Obama’s a one-term president.’ - Mitch McConnell

The IRS is only there to find evidence of tax issues. They don’t take a look to see whether a sitting president, just as a purely hypothetical example, is in debt up to his eyeballs to a hostile foreign power, or made his money by engaging in activities outside of the law.

Sorry, my explanation stands, they aren’t required to do so, the reason they do so is for votes, not any other reason.

Is it against the law to be in debt? And who decides whether a foreign power is hostile when we aren’t at war? And lol, yes they very much care if someone made their money by engaging in activities outside the law.

Surely you don’t think the IRS always picks up illegal behavior in an audit. We know they don’t. Best to get a second set of eyes.

I don’t believe I ever said they are required to release their tax returns… Of course they do it for votes… Ford started the trend by releasing his proactively (unlike Nixon) to demonstrate to voters that he was not a tax cheat… Trump is the first president since then to not release them. The power for the house ways and means committee to review ANY tax return goes all the way back to 1924…

Like I said earlier, the executive branch has the same power, they should exercise it in the same fashion and pull the tax returns of every democrat in congress, you know, just to get some extra eyes on them.

You think there will be gridlock now? Where have you been?