Dems to request Trump tax Returns

Oh, I am aware the executive branch has the same power but it also has additional stipulations that are not required of congressional committees…

(g) Disclosure to President and certain other persons

(1) In general

Upon written request by the President, signed by him personally, the Secretary shall furnish to the President, or to such employee or employees of the White House Office as the President may designate by name in such request, a return or return information with respect to any taxpayer named in such request. Any such request shall state—

(A) the name and address of the taxpayer whose return or return information is to be disclosed,

(B) the kind of return or return information which is to be disclosed,

(C) the taxable period or periods covered by such return or return information, and

(D) the specific reason why the inspection or disclosure is requested.

Why do you suppose those additional stipulations are in there?

I don’t see anything there that would prevent them from doing so.

You didn’t answer the question… Why would the law add these additional requirements for the president?

What “explanation” is that? No one said the president was required to do so. Your deflection is showing.

1 Like

Right. It’s just a collection agency.

Allan

I’d be stunned by anything else anymore.

I would imagine to give congress notice it was being done and why so that if they objected, they could impeach. So what? If you are going to have congressional Democrats pulling Trumps for political reasons I don’t see Senate Republicans impeaching him for returning the favor.

You are all over the place running interference for trump.

3 Likes

Doesn’t have a lot to do with Trump. Do you want congress pulling your tax returns if they deem you a threat to them politically?

You do realize it’s Democrats you’re talking about, right? There are a few exceptions, but when for the most part has the party in general ever been the adults in the room?

I’d be more curious why if Congress doesn’t have the same stipulations for pulling Trump’s tax returns as the President does, why the big deal with the media announcing they’re going to do it? They don’t even need Trump’s permission to pull them apparently, so why the big deal? Unless of course it’s just more smoke and mirrors and they already know there is no there there. Again.

But it would be an abuse if done by Republicans? For every Democrat that wants to see Trump’s tax returns let them be brave enough to show theirs as well.

Hey it’s just like over in another thread. When A Republican Congress blocks the President’s policy, it’s obstruction. When Democrats block the President’s policy, it’s checks and balances.

Yes, they should.

They can follow that up with some “random” drug screening as well.

You think the Senate is going to spend two years pushing Trump after he failed to get 21 + people elected?

If there’s anything we’ve learned from Trump and McConnell, it’s that if you CAN do something, go ahead and do it regardless whether you SHOULD.

Trump endorsed 31 people in the midterms, 20 + of them lost. You think the GOP is going to keep caring water for him?

since when did the executive branch have subpoena power?

Read the law Democrats are talking about to get Trumps tax return.

The same law authorizes the executive branch to obtain people’s tax returns.