Daddy, Why Do You Carry Your Gun to the Door?

So without perfection nothing. Mechanical devices fail. The weapon left in the classroom in the “box” will be unattended, except maybe by kids when its lock fails. If the weapon is there, it should always be in the possession, on the person allowed to carry it. Under your line of thought not even the police should be allowed to carry because one of them might be careless.

Good guy decided to out gun the bad guys…

1 Like

Police in general don’t spend all day surrounded by kids. I doubt lock failures are a regular occurrence. You could also move up to a shotgun or AR platform that way. Oh, auto shotgun would be nice.

Missouri, birthplace of pistol gunfighting…

1 Like

I guess he didn’t realize he was actually in a gun fight. The armed customer was smart to recognize that the perp with the knife was trying to close the distance to knife range.

2 Likes

That’s a really really good shot.

Congratulations are in order for that customer.

Fighting naked ain’t easy. Well done woman.

1 Like

“I wouldn’t want to see that either.”

So … She got the drop on him? :wink:

Why do you carry in the park, Daddy?

Mama?

1 Like

It’s not the good guy with the gun I’m most worried about, nor the bad guy with the gun. It’s the crazy or senile with a gun that we might be able to help. Not necessarily through laws, but perhaps other means.

Fair point. Perhaps the first step is to stop creating them?

Yep! I think Mother Nature has something to do with that.

I’m thinking a public awareness campaign which, in my lifetime, have changed attitudes towards, smoking, littering, weed, alcoholism, homosexuality, etc. etc. It could be nothing more than this,

‘Do you have an ailing parent who probably shouldn’t use a gun? Maybe it’s time for a talk?’

Heck I took away car keys from both parents and neither protested. Of course my Mom made it easy by playing pinball with all the traffic signs and street lamps in her neighborhood.

Is it the parents?

Ailing (or aging) parents are not likely to go on a killing spree, although, depending on what ails them, suicide is certainly a possibility. On the other hand, perhaps allowing them that freedom could be considered compassion.

Yep, there’s the rub. I’m thinking without infringing upon their freedom to own. Just a public awareness campaign like we had as children: the ridiculous but effective awareness campaign warning of us ‘blasting caps’ which some thought were strewn about my neighborhood every five feet.

1 Like

Not sure, WW. Too lofty of a question for me this a.m. But just imagine the PR and political gains the NRA and other groups could make if they got ahead of the discussion. Yes, they do much good work on gun safety, but the recent, highly publicized anecdotes of legally owned guns by heretofore law abiding citizens, taking aim at apparently innocent people is a real PR opportunity. If more incidents like these happen, the narrative will be set conflating the issue with illegal ownership by criminals, lumping them together. A narrative that when fixed in the public’s mind will be difficult to take back.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that an older adult who is still capable of having a reasoned discussion with you has somehow forgotten how to safely use a gun and needs to be reminded? Why would you think that?