Dad leaves Liz speechless

You think American education is going to collapse if Public school tuition rates are regulated?

Putting price controls on upper education is as smart as Venezuela nationalizing it’s oil production.

There is an immense difference between universities in value and offerings.

You not only get what you pay for. You also get out what you put in.

So let’s say your tax bracket is reduced 10% the year after you retire, is that any fairer? You should get all that money back?

No. It is because Universities are insanely competitive.

I’ll take $1,000 in “comments that have nothing related to my post“, Alex.

and upper education isn’t insanely competitive in the rest of the first world?
half of the University of BC is Chinese student.

That’s not what drives the costs.

The Ivys have 10-digit endowments. If you get into Harvard or Yale, you can go - they all have very generous financial aid packages.

It’s the bad, for-profit schools, and government-backed loans that have driven costs up.

You think your average student attending your average school is going to be the next math prodigy
There is no reason why Jeff Business degree from the University of Alabama should cost 120,000$.

No, I think taxes are going to destroy the middle class.

stop paying football coaches 10,000,000 a year.
there I solved it.

I went to the one of the best colleges in the world for undergraduate, and I’m almost done with law school at a top-25 school.

I paid less than $20,000 (total) for my entire education.

Quality isn’t what drives the costs.

It worked out great for Joe the plumber.

Jeff want to public university for business degree it cost him 120,000$.

Its almost like we reward smart people when it comes to education… :wink:

That would help. But a school who pays that much to a coach, makes money off the football program. Tons of money.

I’d say that’s debatable, since you been out-lawyered by an old cowboy.

1 Like

It is the exact same topic.

The overhead is very high and the competition for faculty with supported research is very intense.

Endowments help with facilities and usually come with restrictions.

Tuition pays the faculty and operations.

Rich alumni are fickle and can’t find everything.

Did it though?

He had his 15 minutes, sure. But where is he now?

I’m glad you brought him up, because I really think he’s a perfect example of the right-wing narrative these days - a complete lie.

You know he’s not a plumber, right? His name isn’t even “Joe”.

My thread isn’t about general fairness. But I will tell you this. Millions of people will be infuriated if they worked hard to pay off their loans only to have the feds pay off the loans of those who didn’t work hard. This is a hornets nest. No way to avoid it.

1 Like