D.C Statehood. Two questions

Well lookee there.

3 Likes

I am joking about Mississippi. They always get made fun of. Chris Rock made a good joke on this.

As far as PR, even if you donā€™t think they have any worth or value, they are US citizens.

Non-voting representation is not representation.

2 Likes

Back up a minute. Weā€™re putting the cart before the horse. Hereā€™s the horse.

1. Why did the founders not make D.C. part of a state? Subject to state laws and influence.
  2. After nearly 250 years, why are these reasons no longer valid?

Donā€™t live in the District.

2 Likes
  1. The Founders didnā€™t want a repeat of 1783, when a bunch of drunken soldiers who were pissed they were owed back pay, chased Congress out of Philadelphia and local authorities did nothing to stop them. So they didnā€™t want the federal seat of government to be at the mercy of any one state.

2. Ironically the latest push for statehood is coming for much the same reasonā€¦only this time itā€™s the federal government that appears to be selectively enforcing when it will overrule DCā€™s home rule and intervene (they cracked down on the BLM riots using National Guard troops without obtaining either the consent nor even advice of DCā€™s mayorā€¦then of course were strangely absent for much of the January 6 Capitol riot).

So Iā€™d say the reasons the Founders didnā€™t want DC to be state controlled havenā€™t gone away.

However they ought to restore it to how it was pre-1870, when DC landowners could register to vote in either Maryland or Virginia, and modify the Home Rule laws a bit.

Iā€™m sure everyone knows why that right of DC landowners was taken awayā€¦:rofl:

3 Likes

In the days of the founders, physical proximity was much more important than now.

Funnily enough, it ought to be todayā€™s grievance GOP that actually wants DC to become a state.

If it was a state, that would be a check on federal overreach.

But the area is controlled by Democrats so of course thatā€™s bad for the teamā€¦and team takes precedence over principle.

1 Like

But the best and only reason for the current push for D.C statehood is to give the dems two more Senate seats.

There is no reason to surpass this one. Am I right?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a matter of your opinion.

I openly admitted that is my preferred outcome, but failing that, DC should be absorbed one of the surrounding States.

Iā€™m good with that.

Horse feathers. Except for the last sentence. Or any state to get preferential treatment.

Libsā€¦

Tide pod eaters.

That will never happen. The dems do not get two additional senate seats if this occurs. This is why not a single one is proposing this.

1 Like

Is it?

You really think the Founders wanted us constantly looking back to them for guidance on how to do things?

The Founders were acutely aware that times would change and they couldnā€™t predict everything.

Thatā€™s why our governing document was left open to change and they gave our government the power to pass laws.

Disagree. It is an affront to the republic that those citizens donā€™t have a federal vote

1 Like

Those states joined because of contract/Constitution and BoRā€™s.

And now libs want to change it? Then states are no longer abide to their agreement and thus should be allowed to break free from chains of federal goverment.

1 Like

If there ever is a compromise on the issue, I bet that will be it

Tide pods are probably less hazardous than much of what passed as medicine in the late 1700ā€™s.

2 Likes