D.C Statehood. Two questions

It’s an open question whether DC can become a state without violating the Constitution.

Yes the Constitution does include the cession of territory no more than ten miles square where the federal capital could be established.

But it also grants Congress this power:

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

DC could very well be construed as “other Property belonging to the United States” and as such Congress could make DC a state.

And do so without “changing” the Constitution.

Edit: the main argument against this thinking might be the language of the 23rd Amendment which gives the idea of some “permanence” to federal control of the district.

1 Like

So why can’t the non-federal property in DC become a state under the same agreement? Like Alaska and Hawaii?

They can go back to state that DC was carved out from.

1 Like

I’d be fine with that, personally.

GOP probably would too because it would probably decrease the number of electoral votes in the D column by 1, maybe 2.

I’d rather people who are against the idea of DC statehood just state the actual reasons why they want it to happen rather than make up ones that “the rules are being changed”.

2 Likes

Good Lord dude. You’re the probably only one who truly believes that the dems are champions of the people and really don’t care about adding to their power.

My question is this: How the hell did they get that blind trust from you? How did they earn it? You really think this guy cares a wit about you?

We have one of the country’s largest shipbuilding facilities. Many of the US Navy’s current conventionally powered ships come out of Mississippi.

1 Like

I will. It’s a city.

4 Likes

Do you think that they would want the nation to lock in at 1787… never to change a thing?

This thing.

So is the Vatican and it is its own country.

That wasn’t hard.

I am not speaking on behalf of “Dems”, I am speaking only for myself.

And I have already confirmed that I would prefer statehood and 2 more seats, but will accept absorption

Now that’s a stupid question. It’s idea of our nation.

No. What I think is the dems want two more senate seats. Plain and simple. It’s about increasing their power over us. Not protecting our rights.

1 Like

The idea of our nation was to make sure Congress couldn’t be attacked by a mob while relying on a state to provide them protection?

Ooops…that failed already.

:rofl:

1 Like

This isn’t Italy.

Numerous times. All but one by the left.

1 Like

What makes you think dems will win those 2 seats?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t3:

1 Like