D.C Statehood. Two questions

The question should be why not?

Same for Puerto Rico. Why not?
They need representation and voting powers too.

1 Like

How about this. Tell us why you think it is valid.

Don’t start from a position of Founding Father worship, which is an assumption that they were right about everything and we shouldn’t change it.

And before I get accused of wanting more Senate seats… I have already stated that I would be fine with it being absorbed into Maryland… I don’t know if Maryland would want it… but I would be fine with it if that is the case. Having nearly 700,000 people in this country without equal representation in government is the real problem IMO.

1 Like

What difference does that make?

1 Like

My answer was apposite.

1. It’s not a state. It’s a city.
  2. They bring nothing to the table.
1 Like
  1. Per James Madison in Federalist 43:

“The indispensable necessity of complete authority at the seat of government, carries its own evidence with it… Without it, not only the public authority might be insulted and its proceedings interrupted with impunity; but a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy.”

At the time of the writing of the Federalist Papers, state governments were much stronger and travel was more limited. It therefore made sense to have the capital be neutral ground.

Today, though, the majority of people who work for the Federal government live outside of DC, and in the case of elected officials, are far more beholden to their own state than any goings on in the District. Can you really see Mitch McConnell voting in the best interest of the people of DC over his state and party?

1 Like

Wrong. My question is what ever I DETERMINE IT TO BE. You don’t get to make that call for me. My questions are legit. And after 83 views, they have been dodged by people who are totally afraid to answer. Y’all need to grow a pair. Man up.

1. Ok then make it a state or add it to MD.
  2. So what? Neither is Mississippi.

It’s fine the way it is.
LOL might want to do some research

1 Like

Do you vote where you live or where you work?

How about this?
I will. But you don’t get to totally ignore my questions and expect me to reply to yours instead. Answer mine first, and I will happily answer yours. That’s what we call a conversation. My questions are beyond easy.

1 Like

Surely if your question is “whatever I DETERMINE IT TO BE” the same should be afforded to those answering it?

I live and work in my house. Not sure I understand the question.

:popcorn:

I like this

Today, though, the majority of people who work for the Federal government live outside of DC,

Then they are not a consideration.

1 Like

It’s a city with a larger population than two states. What do they bring to the table that DC doesn’t?

The Constitution specifies the maximum size of the District, not the minimum. It would be entirely constitutional to shrink the District to the purely federal portions, in which case the status of the people living outside it would need to be re-assessed.

What’s your thought on taxation without representation?

So you’re arguing against Madison’s rationale?

Irrelevant. Statehood.

Maryland or Virginia.

They are represented.

1 Like

Not at all.

Fear of losing elections to people who care about this country.

4 Likes