Coronavirus Thread Political II

Bureaucracy at its finest?

Did they know they were bidding against each other? What supplies specifically?

Who knows?

The devil is in the details.

Problem addressed and fixed.

In the previous thread in this, it was brought up that Trump had fired the pandemic response team - or disbanded them or whatever you want to call it, two years ago, saying he could bring back people as soon as he needed them.

I asked in that thread, would the US’s response have been any different if that pandemic response team had been in place.

Would they have coordinated with FEMA from the get-go to ensure that such conflicts did not arise?

That the federal government’s role as a “shipping clerk” would actually be recognized as essential?

I don’t know that our response to this would have been any more efficient, but what should never have happened is the states and the feds competing with each other to buy necessary supplies.

Edit.

My bad. I forgot that Trump had put Pence in charge of the Coronavirus response. Pence should have been on top of it and wasn’t. And he damn sure should have made sure FEMA was.)

2 Likes

So are your saying that this would or wouldn’t have been an issue if the team hadn’t been disbanded?

Are you just assuming it wouldn’t have been an issue?

We can’t say for sure can we?

Again, problem addressed by governors and fixed by Trump.

So are your saying that this would or wouldn’t have been an issue if the team hadn’t been disbanded?

Are you just assuming it wouldn’t have been an issue?

I don’t know if it would have been an issue or not. I thought that’s what I said in my post.

We can’t say for sure can we?

No, we can’t.

Again, problem addressed by governors and fixed by Trump.

Whether or not it would have been handled more competently by the pandemic response or not is indeed impossible to say, but can you agree it shouldn’t have happened at all, regardless of who was in charge?

We can put the blame on the head of FEMA, if you like. (Edit - and Pence!) Together they should have been coordinating with the governors.

Yes we can blame the head of FEMA, and also that it shouldn’t happen.

Can we give Trump credit for fixing it?

Sure.

edited. If it is indeed fixed.

That’ll depend on the head of FEMA and Pence getting their acts together.

1 Like

I wksh my job would just lay me off

Ya get on EI, they waved all waiting times for assistance programs in Canada.
it suck when you know a lay off is coming and they drag their feet.

That’s not a bad idea

Yeah…I’m just sick of it.

Got a few friends in Alberta waiting for their pink slips it only a matter of time with oil crashing.

We have voluntary layoffs. Least for some people. I dont think it counts for us because we are contract.

And…wow…

Politico stated with firm authority that a “majority” of Americans (55%) approve of Trump’s handling of the coronvirus pandemic.

The pollsters talked to 502 people. (Or 512. The article gave 2 different numbers.)

Talk about a worthless poll.

Marist did one too. Talked to 800 people.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_2003151338.pdf#page=1

I could find 500 people that think the earth is flat.

1 Like

Harris Poll of 2050 people taken in three waves March 14 through March 18

Trump overall approval = 53%
Trump handling of virus crisis = 56%

https://theharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID19-Axios-LIveStream.pdf

1 Like

Leader approval tend to go up in crisis, even Trudeau is seeing a boost.

Trump has been the one tougher on borders. Democrats have been weak. Americans see this as a border problem. It is probably why many libs here dont want to hear this virus came from china.

2 Likes

Quebec is looking into converting hotel into temporary hospitals, also Federal government is reorganizing manufacturing sector for the first time since WWII to protect medical equipment.

How is this a border issue, I was unaware you could arrest your way out of this crisis.

1 Like

There is direct air traffic route from Wuhan and NYC.