Coronavirus Thread Political II

The President is having the government buy up pandemic supplies.

Outbidding governors of the states that need them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/trump-told-governors-to-buy-own-virus-supplies-then-outbid-them/ar-BB11qFXk?ocid=spartandhp

Ontario will start fining people 1,000$ who violate the social distancing laws.

Thatā€™s, uh, interesting.

So had Canda closed businsses? If so how are they ever going to collect the thousand bucks?

Trump and leadership. They donā€™t go together.

From the article I cited:

Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker told Trump during a video conference on Thursday that his state three times lost out to the federal government on purchases of critical supplies, creating an awkward moment during the made-for-TV event at Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters in Washington.

ā€œIā€™ve got a feeling that if someone has the chance to sell to you and to sell to me, I am going to lose on every one of those,ā€ a sheepish-sounding Baker told Trump, who chuckled at the remark.

The president replied he still wants governors to seek out their own medical equipment, like protective gear for doctors and nurses as well as respirators, but acknowledged the federal government has greater buying power than any state.

ā€œPrices are always a component of that also. And maybe thatā€™s why you lost to the feds, OK, thatā€™s probably why,ā€ Trump said.

3 Likes

Pretty much all business are closed outside of ones needed to operate either working from home, or laid off. Canada had 500,000 people apply for EI this week.

another 80 billion has been earmarked for further assistance programs.

another undetermined amount has been earmarked to put forward for facilities to switch to producing medical supplies (brewers making hand sanitizers, etc)

He doesnt know how to.

1 Like

Walmart Canada has said they will hire up to 10,000 people to fill relief position to keep supplies running.

Most Canadian stores have opened senior hours in the morning where all other shoppers are barred from entering.

2 Likes

The U.S/CAN border is now closed to all non essential travel.

If you were put in a drive through. No training on the register or anthing . . could you do it?

Iā€™m pretty sure with training the president could. Might not have the best maners to those coming through the line . . . but Iā€™ve delt with plenty of those type people at the drive through over the years.

Yesā€¦Iā€™m fairly sure it wouldnā€™t take me long. But I also have empathy for people.

Lol trump will never ever be trained

I have to much free time on my hands going stircrazy, work is paying me to sit at home I havenā€™t left the house in a week.

my friend who work at Walmart has worked 12 hours shifts without a day off for the last week and a half.

At my work, they were discussing where they would get cots, pipe curtains, and how food and other supplies would be delivered if they quarantine us at work. As in we would not be able to leave our work building.

we have that type of planning at my work, if we go into meltdown we canā€™t leave the plant or so the people with machine guns tell me :smile:

right now iā€™m on standby iā€™m not important enough for operation so I sit at home and read newspapers.

Sounds like there was an issue with the bidding, it was brought to his attention and looks like heā€™s fixing it.

From your article:

ā€œWhen New Mexicoā€™s governor raised similar concerns later in the call, Trump said he would ask FEMA to ensure there were no conflicts with purchases in the future.ā€

Or are you saying Trump purposely did it?

3 Likes

Iā€™m not joking. They are putting things in the works that if it comes to it, we will not be able to leave premesis. The work I do is considered essential. And by essential ā€“ I mean there are multiple plans in place for different circumstances. We have jump bags that are prepped and ready to go where we can set up at 2 or 3 different locations.

why are there bidding on supplies.
they should go to the states that need them.

Iā€™m a highly well paid janitor. :smile:
but I work at a essential power plant, we have enough supplies to self sustain for a month.
they are ready for just about everything, terrorist, meltdown, etc.

Really??? Why does FEMA want supplies?

Probably from previous rules set over many administrations. Thatā€™s how they respond to disasters (like this one). Also remember hurricane and tornado seasons are fast apporaching as well.

But yes, in this case, states should be getting a lot of supplies. But you know there will be complaints if FEMA doesnā€™t respond appropriately. The optimal catch 22

1 Like