Coronavirus Thread Political II

Good question. Even better, which illnesses?

What do you suggest? Not report on the current event?

Not talk about the possibilities? Not everyone panics the same. We can’t not report news just because some people can’t handle it.

As long as they aren’t lying, I am ok with that type of reporting.

I’m going to give President Trump some credit here.

When the reporters were grilling the task force about when the 600 million masks they promised would be available and they kept waffling, he called them out for attempting to ■■■■■■■■ their way through an answer.

The media is supposed to report all is well and that an antimalaria drug and an anti bacterial antibiotic are going to save us all…and do so with out questioning. If they won’t do that they are thus creating panic.

And by January 23rd they had reversed that drastically. By January 23rd, US experts had already highlighted and molded NYC, Washington DC, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco and LA were going to be the hardest hit because of community Transmission and people coming to the US from China and other Places. With that knowledge…the president should have closed down inter national arrivals back then.

Yet he IS running the country while you rant mindlessly on the internet denying actual science.

A very carefully controlled, well documented trial with 40 patients in France, peer reviewed and published this week showed 100% success with the drug. It has proven equally effective in at least three other small but less well controlled trials across the world.

2 Likes

You knew that wasn’t true when you posted it so what’s the point?

Chinese Corona Virus 19 for the win.

It is true.

:roll_eyes:

I don’t know I guess were looking at it differently. I personally I think the way South Korea reported it better they would tell their citizens to remain calm but diligent, that everything will be fine instead of running 24/7 sensationalism articles to freak people out and cause a massive panic.

Even at the height of the South Korean crisis when they acted more calm. People in the west have been advised not to rely on masks as they do not protect the mask-wearer that much; in Korea, however, people value the psychological reassurance that they are not just protecting themselves by wearing one but also the most vulnerable people around them.

From the Independent - In New York City, New Yorkers have run to grocery stores and stocked up on frozen and canned foods, disinfecting wipes, and hand sanitizers. Oh, don’t forget toilet paper! Meanwhile, in Seoul, people are, overall, more calm and appear to be living their lives as usual — even in Daegu, the epicenter of the outbreak in Korea. Instead of panic-buying, people wait patiently in long lines to buy facial masks, which are now distributed by the government at some places.

Which one sounds better? Everything is sensationalized and made worse through the media as one of the most prominent experts on crime said on school shootings the media should downplay it because for everyone shooting they can expect 3 more copycats because of the sensationalism. Speak to people who come to our country from other countries they can’t stand our media.

1 Like

No surprise, Americans are entitled little ■■■■■ by comparison. We generally can’t handle real struggle. Our poor are more wealthy than most of the world.

So literally any bad news has the potential to send our entitled asses into a panic. That doesn’t mean we constantly report news with kid gloves. Just don’t lie and remain calm.

It was 25 people and the author of the study said they need further testing

Wait, so after all your ranting about a lack of response and preparedness by the federals you want them to fail to prepare in case the outbreak gets completely out of control?

Thank god you’ll never be in charge of anything.

Supplies should go to states that need them

Not put the unprofessional emotionalism into it plus acknowledge the positive strides that are being made. Have you heard ANYTHING positive?

1 Like

No, the Fr study published this week was 40 pts. I’ve. Already posted the link several times in multiple threads.

All the paying will need follow-up period since this disease has never been seen before.

What we know so far is that these drugs have show to be effective by all of those around the world trying them.

Why would someone try an unproven drug when there are no drugs proven to be safe and effective for their disease? No thinking person would even need to ask that question of themselves much less publicly.

Hope.

Without such patients no drg could ever be proven.

They are just bitching to bitch. Period.

What does FEMA stand for and what is its purpose?

Please stop pretending you know anything about clinical trials.

I work in pharma and I actually DO understand them, and more importantly I know the experts like Dr. Fauci do.

A 40 patient trial isn’t even close to being large enough to determine whether this is going to be a broad based solution. Certainly not enough to be a snake oil salesman and proclaim this a cure or even hint that it is.

There are currently seven more trials registered for these drugs that will test this hypothesis on more patients yielding more definitive results on both a breadth AND depth of patients. Small genetic differences lead to large differences in phenotypic responses, so as I said, it is snake oil salesmanship to pretend we are close to a cure. We are NOT, and you can tell Trump is starting to piss Fauci off by continuing to insist we are.

Let’s wait for the results of these trials (which will take MONTHS) and also the results of the two trials to see whether the drugs can prevent non-infected people from being infected, before we start praising these as the miracle drugs.

All that said, I know there will be a lot of off label use of these in the coming weeks and that’s fine. When it’s life and death and you don’t have options…why not give it a shot? I bet you will note the doctors will NOT be telling the patients or their loved ones that these drugs will cure.

You give hope to people by being both optimistic AND realistic.

You do NOT provide hope by being a snake oil salesman. That STEALS hope…it doesn’t give it.

FDR and Churchill inspired their peoples to fight, not because they promised easy victory but because they promised they would do whatever it takes.

THAT’S how you provide hope.

6 Likes

Seems to me with those results from that study, for those people who are in bad shape and have the possibility of dying, why not try it, even if there are more studies necessary to see how successful the drug is. It is a drug that has a long history and if it can possibly help people, why not give it to them now. It seems to be that Cuomo was asking to give a chance for those possibly dying New York patients. Maybe it won’t be 100% successful like in the study but it just saves one person why ain’t it worth it? Especially since the ultimate side effect of not trying this drug might be death?

I just said this. :sunglasses:

There will be a ton of off label use of these drugs and I don’t mind either that or making sure the drugs are there to be given.

But as I said, the doctors will use them but they will NOT be telling either the patients or their loved ones that they are guaranteeing a cure.

If they do they should be fired.