Coronavirus Thread Political II

We support his policies when we agree with him, that is completely separate from approving of him as a man.

He’s a horrible human being but for the most part has been a very good president policy wise and particularly with his handling of this outbreak.

So your model changes as data and trends change?

Mine does and always has based on what is known at the time.

He didn’t even mention that until today, he certainly didn’t mention it with his “doubling every 3 days” prediction or when he came back to again claim it was working just fine in spite of how wrong it was beyond about the first ten days.

He predicted what numbers were going to be at a future point time and he was right.

1 Like

No he wasn’t which is why he had to change his model because it fell apart in 10 days.

Adroit was correct. On April 2 he predicted 10,400 deaths over the next week.

April 2 - 6,088 total deaths
April 9 - 16,712 total deaths

Increase from 4/2 to 4/9 = 10,624

2 Likes

Only after changing his original model.

He never said the number of deaths would double every 3 days in perpetuity. He looked at what the trend was at the time and predicted what the number would be at a specified point in the future, and he was correct.

Complete and uttter horse hockey

Wow, just wow.
:flushed:

It was a whole lot closer than any of your predictions

It certainly wasn’t, not from the start.

You people were laughing this off as nothing in January and February when some of us were predicting it could become a devastating threat to the US, particularly to the economy and I was leading that pack.

Get your own material, stealing mine is a true mark of intellectual bankruptcy and ineptitude.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I found a neat summary of yesterday’s Coronavirus Task Force brief:

• Briefing started with a video provided by General Motors about the ventilators they’re making

• Trump ranted about how so many federal judges, which he later admitted to wanting to put in because “they’ll be there for decades”, are being held up “by the Democrats”. And that because of this he is considering adjourning Congress as a whole to get them passed. While he has the power to do so, it’s only if the House and Senate can’t agree on when to adjourn, and it has literally never been done in the history of the country.

• Trump ranted about the Democrats, falsely claiming that Nancy Pelosi held a big party in Chinatown in California after his travel ban.

• Trump backed down on his backing down from yesterday, claiming today “we have the power to do whatever we want” and that he will take “strong action” against states that “don’t do what we want”

• Trump claimed to have no involvement in the last-minute change to have his name added to the physical checks being sent out, but not opposing it, saying “I don’t know why there will be my name on the checks, but people will love cashing those big fat checks with my name on it!”

• When asked for if returning funding to the World Health Organization would be conditional, Trump once again attacked the WHO, while claiming that the US should be designated a “developing nation” alongside China

• Asked for his reaction to the latest case and death numbers, in comparison to the rest of the world, Trump implied that because China’s numbers might not be honest, then other countries may also be reporting false numbers, intentionally or not.

3 Likes

not sure what they are saying, but this is the NY site that explains the lag in reporting.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

He’s handled this outbreak like the liar that his is.

And it cost us dearly.

I’m on my phone and not good at sharing links on that. But I just saw daily US covid deaths was over 2k for second day in a row. The chart was not going down at all.

What source are you using that indicates we are past the peak?

I sure hope you are right.

I use this for tracking the cases

I dont know what the “peak” means, but the number of daily new cases appears to be stabilizing in the US. Maybe thats the peak? When the # of new cases plateaus? Dont know.

Edit: did some googling:

‘The Peak’

Officials often talk about when the epidemic peaks or plateaus — when a country “flattens the curve.” But they rarely specify, the peak of what? And how can we be sure we’re past it?
When an outbreak is growing unchecked, more people become infected and more die each day than the day before. Italy went from reporting a few hundred newly detected infections per day in early March to more than 6,500 on March 21.

That acceleration cannot continue indefinitely, and more important, Italy has strengthened social distancing, apparently slowing transmission of the virus. Since March 21, new confirmed infections have varied between about 4,000 and 6,000 daily. Despite the problems with the available figures, and the dangers of drawing conclusions based on just a few days, it seems clear after almost two weeks that Italy has passed a turning point.

On a graph, the curve showing the daily count of new cases has gone from rising sharply to moving sideways — the curve has flattened — and even begun to move downward.
That is one corner being turned: The rate of the spread of the virus has slowed down. It takes longer to turn another: the rate of people dying. But that, too, appears to have leveled off in Italy, fluctuating around 800 a day in the last week.

But even when those curves flatten, the epidemic still has not “peaked” by another crucial measure: the number of active cases. That figure continues to rise until the number of patients who either die or recover each day is larger than the number of new infections.
To ease the staggering load on health care systems, the active cases curve must also flatten and then fall."

My “original model”? I’ve had the same model for a month now. The only thing that changes is the latest actual numbers that get plugged in. You’re the one that doesn’t understand that my model has never simply been f(x) = 1.26x.

1 Like