Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

He is violating Colorado not federal law.

Allan

Umm no, the SCOTUS said no such thing, what they actually said was, there was no need to consider the issue beyond that point. They made no ruling either way on the further merits of the case.

Maybe its just me but cake seems to be such a silly thing to argue over.

Its not about the cake.

Well sure it is.

Doesn’t change the point you were making. In fact, that gay couple could have bought anything off the shelf – including a pre-made cake. (And, in fact, previously had bought stuff from the bakery.)

No it isn’t, it’s about whether or not the government has the power to force you to say or endorse things you don’t condone or agree with, the cake is incidental to that central issue.

But you are arguing about a cake.

BTW the government makes people do things all the time they don’t want to do.

And it doesn’t change the fact - in the previous case - that Colorado law required full and equal access to all goods and services normally offered and since Mr. Phillips offered wedding case in the normal course of his business.

So the whole, “well he would sell a subset of goods and services but not provide full and equal access to goods and services” is a spurious claim of validity.

.>>>>

Yes because he serves gays or anyone else. Just refuses to make customized cakes in some instances.

And for that the left hates him and wants to destroy him financially.

So then why did the Colorado commission side with bakers who refused to make anti gay cakes? They are hypocrites

Only if you steadfastly refuse to recognize that a custom cake is an individualized and unique creation. Now if he was selling gay wedding cakes to straight people but not to gay people, he’d be in violation of the law. If I put myself out there as an artist willing to paint on commission, the idea that it obligates me to paint any image asked for is absurd. Same goes for tattoo artists or anyone else in the business of selling artistic expression for hire. Because art is speech and the government may not compel speech. It’s is a direct violation of the first amendment that trumps Colorado law.

You won’t get any disagreement from me. However I don’t think their should be special exemptions to hide behind religion.

I think any private business owner should be free to discriminate against whomever they wish for whatever reason they wish. Whether it be race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veterans status, or they are dressed like a one legged pirate with a stuffed parrot on their shoulder. PA laws should only apply to government entities and their ability to transact business with organizations with a discriminatory model.

.>>>>

I agree it is not a religious issue, it is a free speech issue.

It’s just the tool for the overall issue. As we’ve seen it could also be a bouquet or a pizza or even a poster describing where to get an abortion that Calif tried to make pregnancy centers display.

Different issue from what I addressed.

Your post points to why the Colorado law needs to be overturned.

I agree, PA laws should be repealed. Not special exemptions given.

.>>>>

Uh…who cares about your thoughts…I dont

I bet you look good in women’s clothes

Not really…ebbs and flows of life…we will die and things will change…the idea someone like this sack of ■■■■ thinks his refusal and dislike of gays really matters in the big scheme is really just sad…