Colorado commission has Masterpiece Bakery in its crosshairs again

From the article:

“The state commission moved against Phillips after a lawyer asked him to design and bake a custom cake celebrating a gender transition, pink on the inside and blue on the outside.”

Come on. If this doesn’t look like a setup …

2 Likes

Of course it is. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They don’t have a leg to stand on as long as they are asking for a custom cake. You can’t force an artist to create what you want or force someone to say what you want.

1 Like

Cakes only have one gender. Yummy.

1 Like

Looks like the baker is fighting back this time. From the linked article:

“The baker is suing the state commission’s members in their official capacities, as well as suing its director personally.”

4 Likes

I wonder if a rap artist could be required to produce music for a white cop with the message “white police are your friends”

And the problem is?

set up?

SCOTUS says:

disputes must be resolved with tolerance:

without undue disrespect to sincerely held religious beliefs AND without subjecting gay persons to indignities.

Allan

No, no, they created an arbitrary distinction to handle that, ruling in three cases of bakers asked to make cakes with anti-gay or religious messages that you couldn’t force them to convey messages they found objectionable but mysteriously finding the guy who wouldn’t bake the gay wedding cake wouldn’t be sending any message of his own in baking such a cake but merely sending the customers message. That had a very thin veneer of cover when it wasn’t a custom cake without a custom message, this time they don’t even have that paper thin cover.

1 Like

And the problem is, trying to force an artist to engage in speech he doesn’t agree with. Now go type me up a post outlining the virtues of Donald Trump.

1 Like

without undue disrespect to sincerely held religious beliefs AND without subjecting gay persons to indignities.

Allan

The cakeshop opinion by scotus says

anything else is irrelevant

Allan

The question is, would the baker bake this cake if it was for a non-transgender person. For example, if this cake was for fraternal twins. That’s the underlying basis for a suit.

Gibberish. Nobody has any right or power to force me to say something I don’t want to say and they suffer no valid indignity when I refuse to say what they demand I say.

2 Likes

This is the ugly side of liberalism. The lawyer in question could select from many bakeries who would be more than happy to custom design exactly the cake he is looking for. But no chance that will happen, because the lawyer isn’t really looking for a cake at all. He is looking to try and shutdown anyone or anything that is at odds with liberal ideology. That’s what LIBs do.

3 Likes

SCOTUS said so. it doesnt matter if you disagree with their opinion.

go out and protest if you feel up to it.

Allan

Huh?
The baker did no such thing. He found the message objectionable… not the customer.

Yes he would, case closed. From the OP link

A gender-transition cake is not something I’ve ever made

If he had gender transition cakes listed for sale and refused to sell one to a transgender he’d have a problem but he doesn’t.

Peek SCOTUS gave everyone clear guidance on this issue

It VERY clear. and not a liberal or conservative issue.

FOLLOW SCOTUS DIRECTIVE.

Allan

This ^^

1 Like