College Admission Scandal

Wait, this is impossible. Marky told me that Ivy League colleges like Yale (and others) don’t need the money and therefore it is proven that Trump got in on his own merits.

These people are vain and obviously think less of trades. University is a gamble that I am willing to wager on, I can see why many would be as well.

I don’t think there was ever an intention for them to participate in any sport. Just that the coach giving his/her consent to the “athlete” helped grease the wheels for admission.

Remember Trump, DeVos and many conservatives are trying to get their own kids out of publlic high schools.

That movement really took off around 50 years ago.

IMO this is nothing new. For example, GWB got in to Yale because of Daddy Bush not because of his grades.
Now what need to happen is to examine records, check these coaches, administrators and teachers to see who was bribe. This situation could be a lot bigger than it is.
Nothing more than Affirmative action for rich folks, but then those same people are against Affirmative action.

They didn’t want to get their kids on a sports team. That was a ruse to get them accepted. Coaches have a lot of say who gets accepted. The coaches took bribes and played along. The kid wouid show up and just “decide” not to play.

$1.2 million isn’t enough. It takes many multiples of millions now.

$1.2 might get you into a lesser school than those involved but these parents didn’t want their kids to go to those schools.

Read what the mastermind said. There is the front door to get your kid in through (great grades, EC’s, high test scores;) the back door (donating huge amts of money through the development offices) and his way was the side door - through cheating on the test, fake grades from courses take online, and bribing coaches.

The money wasn’t going to the colleges. It was going to pay the bribes to coachesand SAT proctors.

TBS, every college wants money. Even the four years I was paying tuition my son’s college was constantly calling us/ sending mail asking us to make a donation. Every private college does this.

There are plenty of colleges these kids could have gotten into. But these parents wanted their kids to go to an elite college.

To be honest, I don’t even know why this is a crime other than it pisses off people of their fellow affluent class. For the rest of us, legacy based admissions is a far greater problem.

I agree. Many schools now have gone to test optional. My son’s college was actually the first to do that. They have been test optional since 1984.

Umm…forged text answers, fake application information, paying bribes and making it look like a donation to a non profit.

And on the other end, coaches and proctors accepting bribes.

Not only are the tests suspect, but too much of the education process (elementary through high school) is spent teaching to the tests for the sake of good test results rather than teaching to the material for the sake of learning. And not just for SATs, but standardized testing throughout the 12 years of ELHI schooling.

1 Like

In terms of the fake donations, I’m in agreement. The other elements are unethical but don’t rise to criminality, for me at least.

$250k donation will not get you straight up into those school. It’s laughable that you think that.

15.1%
2015–16
Undergraduate tuition and fees: 49,116 USD (2016–17)
Typical ACT scores: 31-34 (2016–17)

Cornell is many schools, some of which are in the NYS system and a tad easier to get into than private College of Arts and Science if you are a NYS resident.

The state parts tuition is also significantly less expensive.

Keith was in one of the State colleges (The Ag school) because for some bizarre reason the Dept. Of Communication is in that school.

It’s straight up fraud. How is that not illegal?

This isn’t shocking though, right? :thinking:

I agree. Was one of the reason I sent my kid to a private high school,

The wealthy using their wealth to secure privileges, often illegally and at the expensive of the have nots, is no more shocking than them paying for high-priced lawyers to mitigate the damages when they occasionally get caught.

What’s more interesting to me is the obsession with getting one’s kids into a select number of schools in the first place (Ivy League or otherwise). The bragging rights and possible A-list connections are more important to some than the education itself. I’ve always contended that the quality of the latter is more dependent on the ambition and discipline of the student than the institution itself; in other words, a student who applies themselves diligently will get as good or better an education at State U than the slacker who attends Princeton.

But then, it’s hard to ignore the impact of name-dropping a prestigious school during an interview. Membership has its privileges, and that’s why people pay for it (legal and otherwise).

How old were these “kids”? If they were adults, they should be charged if they were complicit in the scams. Some of them had to have known.