Climate change thread of despair

A lot things have proven to have a far more dramatic impact on earths climate… the bottom of the list are humans. Scientist of all stripes say man impacting climate… sure… how much how little, most say insignificant.

Not sure why they present this a new " news " story, its rather old. Arctic sea ice almost completely melted away back during the Bush admin. Then it recovered. Still more today then when it hit its recorded low. We are now in fall and shortly will be winter. Those passes will close up.

Thank you for your participation. For the benefit of everyone I encourage you to link to examples cited.

Yeah, me too. I’m a baby boomer and I wouldn’t have voted for that disgusting trump in a million years.

I always hated the phrase baby boomer though. It makes it sound as if we blow up babies.

Maybe. At least until our sun goes super nova.

Our species has been around a couple hundred thousand years… I am gladly hedging my bets that we won’t survive the next six or seven billion.

Why should I care about the continued existence of humanity? The planet is going to be fine. It might even improve after we’re gone.

1 Like

All things must end. And you don’t have to care. In fact, caring is useless. There’s nothing anyone can do about it. This world and our solar system will come to pass.

Good. They will use a lot less fossil fuel to ship goods back and forth between Europe and the Far East of Asia.

You do. Some 60 million since Roe v. Wade.

Humans will have been extinct on Earth for billions of years before that happens.

“Improvement” is a human concept.

Habitable isn’t a human concept.

You are right. But that was not the word used.

Seems to me that what was being referred to.

That explains a lot about why you and I rarely see eye to eye. I read the words on the screen; you read the words that you want to see.

Just saying, it was pretty obvious given the context.

Maybe that’s actually the difference between us. I don’t ignore context.

Obvious to you, because you made up the context.

“Improvement” is subjective. Man could detonate every nuclear weapon he has thus wiping out all human life, yet Earth would still be habitable and for those critters who survived, it would be an improvement. When the asteroid hit Earth 6 million years ago, it was the end of the dominant species, which was an improvement for mammals. We wouldn’t even be here if it were not for that improvement.

The context is a thread about global warming so I didn’t make that up. It’s in the title. So it seems pretty obvious what the implication of a statement like his was. Not everyone needs every little thing spelled out.

Yep because before roe v wade abortions weren’t performed.