Christian involvement in politics

Are you a Trump supporter?

Gluttony, greed, selfishness, bitterness, adultery, lying, boastfulness…Does the Bible cover any of those?

1 Like

Good points.

I supported Ted Cruz in the 2016 Republican primaries and voted for Darrell Castle of the Constitution Party in the general election. I acknowledge many, many positive things President Trump has done while in office, much to my surprise I will admit. I thought he was going to be a Democrat in Republican clothing. So far, I was mostly wrong.

So - Republican first, Christian second?

Just the opposite. If what you said were true, I would have voted for him just because he had an (R) next to his name like so many people did who look at politics as a team sport… When I said I was mostly wrong, I meant about him being a Democrat in Republican clothing. I still stand by the decision I made in 2016 based on the information that was available.

I have never advocated President Trump should be hated. There were plenty of options besides Trump or Hillary - it’s this binary mindset combined with that of “any one but Hillary” that led us to the person we have now. President Trump does not have a biblical word view. He does want to pander to his voting block which consists of Evangelical Christians so he is doing many things to keep that block happy, not out of any moral imperative.

You can stop rationalizing and defending, even through your silence. But we get it. Tax cuts > basic morality/decency

I got a tax cut I dunt care

It’s a common response from trumpists. If you criticize him its “hate”.

Actually, very few, if any, say it’s OK. Only the club-wielders say that anyone says it.

And that’s the rub. Even if I were to qualify every statement I make about Trump by decrying the graveyard of skeletons in his office, the club won’t go away. Ever. Therefore, I see no point in wasting the effort to insert such qualifications.

It doesn’t matter that you (and I) voted third party in 2016. (I couldn’t punch Trump’s chad because of all those skeletons.) Anyone who defends a single thing Trump does, or even attempts to correct a falsehood being propagated by the Left, will be subject to the wielded club.

In spite of my repulsion of the man, Trump, that kept me from filling his dot, I am immeasurably happier that he’s president than Hillary. And I doubt that Cruz (had he been president) could have achieved many of the things Trump has already accomplished. Still, Trump is doing all he can to magnify the dilemma you mention. Even with the little things like “horseface”. I believe that anyone can be redeemed of their past (a-la Abby Johnson). For me, I accept such claims, not merely on one’s assertion or apology, but on a demonstration of sincere effort to change. And Trump seems to be doing all he can to maintain my doubts of that.

But my abhorrence of Trump’s faults won’t stop my support for the things he’s doing that I want to see happen politically. He’s the guy in office now, and he’s doing some of those things, and I’m not going to oppose them because Trump haters want me to join their ranks.

1 Like

For the Trump haters, it certainly is.

1 Like

So … (insert something he most certainly did NOT say…)

1 Like

We also need to discourage non Christians from being part of the government.

I know that. I was speaking in generalities. There are plenty of people who do. and it’s those people who assert the strawman that people say Trump’s moral faults are OK. And that’s what I was addressing.

And I give you exhibit-A.

Yea yea we know, criticism of trump=hate, WE GOT IT!

Some classic ‘‘christian’’ hypocrisy that since Obama was allowed a ‘different way’ and was more likely to accused of being a Muslim(an insult in their thinking)

And if they ever said ‘‘Let Obama be Obama’’, it was meant as an insult.

They spent 8 years trying to prevent ‘‘Let Obama be Obama’’.

Truth hurts I know

Ya that’s why you spend so much time asserting they dont matter