Choice As Long As The Body Is Inhabited

Ridiculous. If it’s her right, the state may not “impose it’s will on her.” And pregnancy is not in and of itself complicated.

What should the potential answers be?

Now THAT was vague.

All those couples struggling with infertility issues…going through fertilized ovum after fertilized ovum hoping for a viable pregnancy.

My point here is not to back you into a corner, rather to underscore that this is not the binary issue the OP poll wants it to be. Life and humanity are complex, and cannot be reduced to Manichean binaries.

1 Like

Bull ■■■■■ She either has the right or she doesn’t.

The potential answer will necessarily be more complex than:

a) Her bodily autonomy is subject to the will of the State from the moment of conception until childbirth

b) She has the right to abort right up until childbirth

In my opinion? 20 weeks is ample time for her to decide if she wants to carry to term. Beyond that, there are increasing limitations as she gets closer to her delivery date. Is that arbitrary? Absolutely, but it’s a workable compromise in my opinion. Others obviously don’t believe so, both on the pro-life and pro-choice sides.

1 Like

You believe she has the right in the 1st trimester, correct?

It’s a binary choice to those people who only want to talk about life at the moment of conception…the real point here.

It’s a hilarious poll- you gave 2 choices, and people are allowed to make 2 choices. I chose both.

Wrong. In fact, it’s not even really about abortion. It’s about rights.

Irrelevant.

It’s odd if true, because it opens a hornet’s nest of questions that will inevitably lead to equivocations, compromises, and “case by case” thinking.

It’s the reason I bring up IVF centers. The most extreme pro-life position never seems to address the disposal of fertilized ova from these centers, on a near daily basis. If we are to accept that a fertilized ovum is a human being, they are either comfortable with (or at least silent on) the idea of thousands of human beings being generated and murdered on a daily basis if it means that one of them can actually be brought to term. If this is a black and white issue, why do they accept this?

1 Like

Why should she compromise? What compelling interest does the state have to remove a woman’s right to choose?

What compelling interest does the State have to limit any of our rights? What’s a social contract entail, to your mind?

Well, look at the 2 post above the post I’ve quoted above. Looks like some serious equivocations going on there. Don’t be fooled this is about life at conception. It’s why he won’t let in Roe.

How many weeks was the justification in Roe? 12.

The full comment you snipped:

This thread is probably over your head. It’s not about Roe, the justification for which was limited to the 1st Trimester. 12 weeks.

If a women has the right to choose at 12 weeks, why does she not have that right at 15 weeks? 30 weeks?

Hardly irrelevant, because it pigeonholes you into answering your poll in a way you may not prefer.

I snipped it because it is irrelevant. It has already moved beyond Roe. And you moved it out as well.

Issue isn’t black and white government made a compromise banning late term abortion.

We are discussing this right and the common justification for it. If you want to use another example, go start a thread with a poll and I will come vote, unlike you.

I will not be deflected here today.