Children of US troops born overseas will no longer get automatic American citizenship, Trump administration says

What has changed is that Trump has decided that children born to long term military personnel or life long Gov’t employees no longer are considered to be US residents, while living abroad. The parents my be US citizens but are not considered to be residing in the US even when living on a US base, or in other US territories.

What this means is that say this was in place When one John Sidney McCain was born in the US Panama canal zone…he would not automatically be considered a citizen, but would then have to go thru the process of naturalization.

Similarly 2 of my cousins would also not be considered citizens as they were deemed to not be reducing in the US.

2 Likes

Which is stupid. It basically says a US military base or installation in not considered to be part of the US. Right?

appeasing the white supremacist base that Miller has convinced Trump is important to his reelection.

what if two american soldiers have a kid overseas?

I think the answer is “paperwork,” if I’m understanding the change correctly? Anybody?

i wonder how many members of the military will just say the hell with this and quit…

So in the meantime, they are not a citizen of any nation? What about passports?

Yes, you can’t be citizens of countries such as Japan or Korea without having one parent from there. I guess they would be country-less.

Without a passport, could they be blocked from travel to the US?

Exactly my thought.

Major Bone Spurs loves to hug the flag but he’s happy to ■■■■ on the families that serve to defend the nation that flag represents.

What the actual ■■■■■

As I understand it, the answer to every thing in the military is “paperwork”.

Meanwhile, Trump properties continue to be hubs of birth tourism.

Haha, touché.

That was not in the article when the OP originally posted this.

From the end of the article, which I’m surprised you didn’t notice yourself.

No they don’t. This only applies to children adopted by service members, not their natural born children.

The story has been updated. This does not apply to naturally born children of US service members.

It does apply to the children of non-citizen members of the military.

Which brings up the question, is it right to imposed extra hassle on only some of the military. They’re protecting country the same as each other. They should be treated by the country the same way.

Which re-introduces the question, what is this supposed to achieve? What problem is it solving?

If you guys and gals would get your news from Fox rather than fake news liars you would stress less.

Trump administration’s update of policy on citizenship for certain children of government employees born overseas sparks confusion