Children of US troops born overseas will no longer get automatic American citizenship, Trump administration says

That child would be a citizen. If both American parents were in Germany though, the child would not be an American citizen at birth.

Yet another day when the natural question is - “What the hell is this administration thinking???”

Under any other President, this would be insane. With Trump, it’s just another day in the office.

1 Like

not even the worst thing hes done in the past week…

1 Like

What about the section of the policy I quoted?

Ahaha!

Cry more libs!

I believe Jus Soli would apply in that case.

This has to do with the - ah - acquisition of children while overseas. (Acquisition means birth or adoption.)
.>>>>

What’s the point of this? What is the problem it’s attempting to solve?

deflection from the rest of the dumpster fire admin?

Come serve your country. Just don’t be stationed overseas or we’ll have to deport your kids.

I’ve heard that a natural born child of a service member overseas would still be a citizen automatically.

If the service member adopts a child while overseas then they would need to go through the application process for that child.

I’m guessing this must be a change from an adopted child automatically being a citizen?

Yeah, I just checked the linked story in the first post and it has been updated with a statement from the acting director of USCIS.

"Following publication of this story, U.S. government officials were forced to address widespread concern about how this policy change affects children of U.S. service members. Ken Cuccinelli, Acting Director of USCIS, said in a statement that “this policy update does not affect who is born a U.S. citizen, period.”

I wonder why there is only an “acting” director?

Excellent news. Just look at all the foam! :rofl:

The important thing is that we complicate the soldiers lives as much as possible and give them more to worry about.

They sponge off the country enough, right? Can’t give them a free hand to spread our wealth around.

Welcome to the Green Weeny, private. lol

1 Like

From the article itself, which contradicts the headline. :roll_eyes:

This policy update does not deny citizenship to the children of US government employees or members of the military born abroad

This headline is clearly Yellow (and lying) Journalism, aka….fake news!

2 Likes

they would need to apply for it currently they are given it automatically at birth, but you would know that if you read the OP and article.

So what changed?

Harassing Americans serving overseas to own the libs.

It’s about time that children of service-members finally start pulling their own weight. It was simply intolerable that they got automatic citizenship just because their parents serve overseas. They can go through the process of becoming citizens just like anyone else.

No one has claimed that this policy “denies” citizenship to children born to servicemembers born overseas.

Before, they automatically got citizenship. Now they have to apply, fill out a giant pile of paperwork, and wait for years if not decades.