Check this out. Subpoena the house phones and emails

Um, yes there is. You’re either tried on the floor of Congress, in a criminal case or in a civil case. Either way there is a trial.

Um, no, they were instructed to draft the letters by the White House, no recommendation was made. And either way neither had actually finished or presented them to the White House when Trump fired Comey. After the firing-which blindsided literally the entire executive branch-they were told to produce them and they were released.

I know it’s long, but it’s an excellent read. Focus on the Holder case. Notably, the court order the release of some but not all the records.

I’ve never heard of Congress impeaching someone over contempt of Congress. That still does not produce any documents.

His former SoS did a pretty good job regarding that

1 Like

Please please please end fillibuster and let dems win in say 2018, 2020, 2022, 2024 lol. Universal healthcare bitches.

You’ve never heard of it because they have rarely used the power of impeachment for anything. The Congress can impeach Rosenstein, they should.

The Holder case does not say what you think. The court ordered the DOJ to turn over ALL documents except "The court thus held that the DOJ had to produce the documents otherwise subject to the deliberative process privilege… he court ruled that the agency was required to provide documents for which it had offered no justification for invoking a privilege… declined to order the production of documents that were withheld for reasons other than deliberative process privilege, such as attorney work product, personal privacy information, and law enforcement sensitive material, because the legitimacy of those privileges was not an issue before the court, and the parties were better suited to resolve those questions through negotiations instead. Therefore, the court only ordered the DOJ to produce the “segregable portions” of these records.

On April 18, 2016, the Committee appealed the district court’s decision to the D.C. Circuit. On January 19, 2017, the appeals court granted the parties’ request to hold the case in abeyance pending a potential settlement with the Trump Administration. Ultimately, should the court reach the merits of the case, its decision may further clarify the scope of Congress’s subpoena power and the degree to which executive privilege may be invoked to shield a document from disclosure."

The court ordered the DOJ to turn over everything except for those things that the Congress was not challenging the reasoning for withholding. Which include ongoing investigation, personal information, and attorney work privilege. The decision about whether those could be coerced is held in abeyance… as in, not decided by a court yet.

as for the Congress’ power…

“First, the long dormant inherent contempt power permits Congress to rely on its own constitutional authority to detain and imprison a contemnor until the individual complies with congressional demands. Second, the criminal contempt statute permits Congress to certify a contempt citation to the executive branch for the criminal prosecution of the contemnor. Finally, Congress may rely on the judicial branch to enforce a congressional subpoena. Under this procedure, Congress may seek a civil judgment from a federal court declaring that the individual in question is legally obligated to comply with the congressional subpoena.”

You are absolutely wrong. Only in the event of a criminal contempt citation would Rosenstien have any say, and that is only because that requires the citation be referred to DOJ for prosecution. Whether or not the Congress could be forced to give up any documents is iffy at best. A court could order it, and the Congress could pass a resolution telling the court to go stuff itself. Under civil contempt the Congress merely votes him in contempt according to their own rules. They may or may not follow that with civil suit to force compliance. Under the inherent contempt power, they just order the party detained. I don’t believe its ever been used, but if they did, there is no recourse.

false. criminal contempt requires a referral to DOJ

Congress requested all the documents on the list. The court decided not to require them to turn them over. You were flat out false in your characterization of the case.

Congress could impeach Rosenstein, but then he’d be entitled to a defense which gives him the ability to subpoena records. They could go for a civil case which entitles Rosenstein to a defense and the ability to subpoena records. If Congress refuses to grand his subpoena then the court dismisses the case. If they go for criminal contempt, which gives Rosenstein the chance to subpoena records as part of his defense, same thing. They refuse, case dismissed.

They can hold Rosenstein in contempt themselves. I sincerely hope they try because that would be absolutely hilarious.

Congress does not have unlimited powers.

Or, they could simply take the very, very easy route of asking Trump to fire him. Impeachment will not work because dems would not vote for it. Simply support the President in firing him would work though the dems would scream bloody murder. Sessions is also walking a very thin line and his position is in danger. Who runs the DOJ? Sessions does. What has Sessions done, thus far, to justify his position? For all intents and purposes, nothing except allow renegades to run the show.

My reply was 100% factual and backed up by the information you linked. The ONLY docs not ordered to be turned over were docs which for which no argument was made to force compliance and therefore the question of whether compliance could be forced was not before the court. The court did however order DOJ to produce the sever-able parts of even those docs.

Whether or not compliance could be forced on those was up for appeal, the case is held in abeyance and as yet undecided.

Your simplistic and incomplete assertion does not tell the whole story.

Rosenstein could defend the DOJ’s assertions of privilege in a civil case, that he has been held in contempt of Congress before any such case gets to any court there is no defense from. The case that goes before the court has nothing to do with him being held in contempt, it is merely the mechanism to enforce compliance. The court would not hear his contempt case, they would hear only arguments as to why the DOJ should not turn over the docs.

Only in a criminal referral would he have any “day in court” regarding his contempt

Only in a criminal referral would he have any “day in court” regarding his contempt

Pardon me for not taking a known internet troll’s word over that of the Deputy Attorney General of the United States of America. I hope you’re not offended, it’s just that you’re not informed.

One of these days, probably sooner than we might imagine, the majority is going to get sick of being ruled by the minority.

LOL… apparently quite a bit more informed than you.

The DOJ’s list also included other documents that it sought to withhold on separate grounds, such as law enforcement material, privacy information, and other sensitive material.401 The DOJ additionally listed several other documents for which it provided no reason for withholding from Congress.402 On January 16, 2015, after the DOJ had produced its list, the Committee moved to compel the production of each record that was withheld.

The committee asked for every record on the list. The court did not grant every request. You’re wrong. Plain wrong.

I laid you every option available to Congress. Impeachment, civil case, criminal contempt of court all give Rosenstein his day in court. Their only other option is congressional contempt which is toothless unless they lock him up, something they haven’t done in nearly 100 years.

Stop your nutty fantasies about impeachment. Not going to happe.

No. Rosenstein could have led the investigation UNTIL trump claimed R-stein told him to fire Comey. Which, BTW wasn’t true. But since trump dragged him into it, he had to get a SP involved. His direct involvement - since trump was lying - doesn’t rise to recusal (again, since it wasn’t true) but he can’t well investigate trump if trump is going to drag him into things with lies.

And, as I said, the grounds for withholding those was not a question before the court. The court did however order DOJ to release even parts of those (that were severable from the questions). Your sinmplistic answer is incomplete, I merely completed it. Whether or not thoe rest of those documents could be withheld is undecided and held in abeyance before an appeals court. Those are facts. What you’re posting is merely “facty”.

In a civil case the question of his contempt is not at issue, forced comliance is. That he will have been held in contempt before it gets to the civil case is unreversable by any court. The court would not entertain any arguments about his contempt, only about whether or not the DOJ had to comply with the Congressional subpoena.

And i can not think of any reason why the DOJ would not/should not comply. Pretty sure Rosey has his excuses, but also pretty sure they are not acceptable.

Because Nunes has shared everything he has learned about he investigation with the subjects of the investigation.

Proof.

I want less than 10 characters!

We are. Hillary had majority of the votes and we are sick of you left-wing majority.