Capital spending increased by 39 percent

Yeah and if the capital spending is done here, it creates jobs here If those jobs don’t involve math or science, legally they’ll HAVE to hire Americans!

Not as many jobs as you’d expect, unfortunately.

No, that’s the problem. Even if you invest into Taiwan company you won’t get decent return because you’re cutting the prices of your product…that and shipping cost.

So it’s double whammy…or double edge sword.

To grow hemp

http://www.wvnstv.com/west-virginia-news/hemp-industry-could-prosper-in-west-virginia/1152966742

Actually I met him while in mainland China. He was working with some investors who wanted to move the shell there and try again.

NOT kidding.

It’s also super ironic that the right-wing will holler “well, if people in Chicago and Baltimore and Ferguson can’t find opportunity there, then they need to lift themselves up by the bootstraps and leave.” But when it comes to rural America, we have to bend over backward to prop them up.

Back to Reading Pa?

I remember their was large Ingersoll Rand tool and die manufacturing there back in 70’s and early 80’s. When they decided to close that down lot of folks lost their job.

I haven’t heard that said except in strawman argument like yours.

Hey, if you keep killing strawmen, they’re gonna become endangered ya know.

You do know there are many non manufacturing businesses in this country.

No ■■■■ Dick Tracy…it’s just one major leg of our economy.

No. To Mainland China.

The US employees and factory were long gone. But there was still something left in the company (I dunno list of customers?) that made the shell worth keeping.

The point of my post is that even when a company does not move overseas, it can still go out of business due to foreign competition.

Not in swing states.

Which is the point.

Plus, I don’t really get the sense that they respect other professions that much.

True. Hopefully with 3D printing and robotics/automation American companies can be more competitive to foriegn goods.

But that will also require energy, because automation requires energy…which libs opposes.

Is there a 3-D printer that can be operated by Americans but not by Chinese? Cheaper by Americans than by Chinese? More reliably?

Obviously not.
If the goal is to employ Americans, (and for me, that is the goal), we should start by figuring out how to answer “yes” to some version of that question.

e.g. We will never import cinder blocks etc…

Way back in the late 80’s my H used a govt program for workers laid off due to foreign competition (he had worked at GE) to get a Masters in Public Administration. Paid for everything including his books, travel expenses for interviews and even our relocation when he got his first job. He is now working at the highest level in NYS. He will retire in 2 years after 30 years - with an incredible pension and lifetime benefits. He will keep working (probably consulting) after retiring since he’ll only be 62.

i gtw soon

Great dose of reality.

We aren’t going to make money on commodity items for the reasons you cited. The money is in manufacturing small volume, high value items especially things that require customization or frequent iteration.

Thank you.

I never did complete my thesis in econ, but, that was basically the proposal. (Mine switched “Centre County PA” with “the US,” but it was the same idea.)

No, we oppose coal as a source of energy.

Well the thing with 3D printing is it’s great for point of demand manufacturing. That’s advantage of it.

I’m starting to see parts from 3D printing in some tools…but of course they claim to be assembled in American with foreign/global materials.