Cant kill enough through abortion, lets switch to crack-pipes

And after virtue signalling comes the demagoguery.

3 Likes

Prove it. San Francisco has been your experiment for years. It doesn’t work.

I am interested in what the best outcome for the least amount of money may be.

Addicts will shoot up or smoke crack no matter what the danger.

What there is no evidence of is that providing things like safe injection sites or needle exchanges (which is also part of the program that we are talking about in the OP) creates new addicts.

Even though the studies on Crack pipe exchanges is scant… the evidence points in that same direction.

We don’t see increased drug usage from access to clean paraphenalia but what we do see is a marked decrease in diseases like HIV and Hepatitis.

Oh no… not letting addicts die is an evil experiment.

30,000,000 for crack pipes. Not one cent in tribute.

It’s just like banning Martin Luther King’s books from the classroom.

Allan

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect a needle exchange to effect the OD Death rate. Old or new, clean or dirty, when it comes to an OD, a needle is a needle. I am sure that so called needle exchanges have led to more and more discarded needles on the streets. After all, the sites are going to actually hand out a needle even if the addict doesn’t have one to turn in, because not to would defeat the intent of reducing disease spread among the addicts.

And again the demagoguery.

Why not? Needle exchanges are usually paired with safe injection sites where OD’s can be mitigated faster.

The point of a needle exchange is to reduce transmissible disease… not ODs

I am sure that you are sure of that.

Crack pipes or Narcan but not both.

Why not both?

Those serve two different purposes.

One is for disease mitgation and the other is Opiate ODs

Birth control prevents pregnancy. Mom and Dad gave me that talk, then the county health department provided it. In my day the school scheduled sex ed as a voluntary after school lesson, provided by a member of the county health department. It wasn’t a co-ed class. A male member of the Health Department staff gave the class to the boys and a female staff member gave the class to the girls, with lots of Q&A. So your reference to it is irrelevant to the drug topic. A boy having unprotected sex and getting a girl pregnant won’t kill him, the girl’s father might, but the act of getting her pregnant won’t. Ingesting drugs is a game of Russian roulette each and every time an addict uses. Anything to make it easier to use is just subsidizing the behavior and adding to the costs inflected upon society, as the addict does what ever is necessary to acquire the drugs you want to make it easier and safer for them to use.

2 Likes

The fact that there was a decades long fight against condoms and abstinence plus programs in this country and the fact that it was s pretty big topic in the early 2000s has nothing to do with your personal experience. I am not sure why you thought it did.

You keep changing the topic to unprotected sex. It’s not unprotected sec that was railed against but sex in general. May be you are misunderstanding the point.

1 Like

Not relevant to this discussion. Stick to trying to justify subsidizing illegal drug use by addicts.

2 Likes

It’s super duper relevant to the discussion.

I am sticking to the discussion of the government “subsidizing” or in other words encouraging an act.

Government providing condoms will lead to more sex
Government providing needles will lead to more drug use.

How are they not relevant? You really really really wanting it to not be relevant is not relevant :grin:

I’d bet my next paycheck that near election times, there are democrat ballot harvesters permanently stationed there.

2 Likes

This whole premise is completely mesmerizing to me. It is the suburban areas that suffered the most from the opioid epidemic destroying families beyond recognition. The government now steps in to try to alleviate the problem of the epidemic of a spiking ODs but nope that’s bad too.

It would be better if they just backed off.

1 Like

The funny thing is that conservatives have come around to supporting things like needle exchanges because it works.

But you see… they have to pretend the opposite these days because it makes better political headlines.

May be but they were hands off for the entirety of the epidemic and then black tar heroin started killing housewives…. I dunno what the solution is but st lest trying to reduce ODs and needle sharing may be a possible step in the right directin

1 Like

“Staffed by a doctor who consults with patients and administers medication, a nurse, and two psychosocial technicians—professionals without university degrees who provide education on such topics as safer drug consumption and safe sex—the mobile units visit five spots across Lisbon each day. There the staff screen for infectious diseases, exchange needles, offer condoms and distribute methadone, along with medication for mental disorders, HIV and hepatitis. The program describes itself as “low-threshold,” meaning that individuals aren’t required to abstain from drugs to use its services. Faria and the other psychologists and social workers join the mobile units at least once a week to check on participants who can’t or won’t come into the Ares do Pinhal office. Each of the psychologists and social workers is responsible for around 100 patients, who might need help finding a place to live or a referral to a substance abuse treatment program.“

1 Like