Can the government restrict travel out of the New York area?

We’d like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hotspot — New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut quarantined. I’m thinking about that right now . . .We might not have to do it but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine — short-term two weeks for New York, probably New Jersey and parts of Connecticut.–President Trump

I don’t even know what that means. I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable. And from a medical point of view, I don’t know what you’d be accomplishing. . . Mandatory quarantine is a scary concept, because it sounds like you’re saying to people can’t leave this district. We never did that.–Governor Cuomo

Trump is now saying that he does not plan to enforce a quarantine on the New York area.

My question is what can the government do under the constitution and federal law?

Is legally possible to prevent people from leaving the New York area?

What about people traveling through the area?

There are reports that Rhode Island police are stopping cars with New York tags and telling visitors that they have to self-quarantine for two weeks. Is that even constitutional?
https://news.yahoo.com/rhode-island-officers-stopping-incoming-152433835.html

I think those for it should use the welfare clause from the constitution. Please. Pretty pretty please

Quarantine 'em and worry about due process later!

1 Like

Why is that?

A lot of government safety net and specifically subsidy provisions are defended by it at least in part. Especially by those who argue for a living constitution.

I actually support a lockdown. Bring your cows like i asked :grin:

:popcorn:

2 Likes

Federal allows quarantines but they have never been applied to metropolitan area.

The constitution says this under congressional powers: " The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

Does a foreign virus qualify as an “invasion”?

1 Like

Yes yes. Keep finding new definitions based on current events. Join the dark side.

Lincoln had a simple solution when he unilaterally revoked habeas corpus; he simply ignored the decision of the court that went against him.

Key West, Florida is turing back anyone not a resident.

I applaud them for doing so.

If “you” want to live in a highly populated area to reap the benefits then suck it up when the poo hits the fan.

3 Likes

They should claim viral asylum.

Hawaii has imposed two-week quarantine on everyone entering the state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/hta-268-visitors-arrived-in-hawaii-on-first-day-of-mandatory-quarantine/ar-BB11OBB1

What about interstate commerce?

1 Like

Oh good let’s revert to one the darkest times for the country as a solution. An overwhelming federal government. Some people here make fun of others for being fake conservatives. I wonder.

There it is!

@conan. I think respectfully. This is thread where you are going to explode in a good way. Much like you did against the patriot act.

(Not sarcasm by the way)

1 Like

As a practical matter governments can do whatever they want for a few weeks since it takes time for a court challenge.

If necessary Congress could prevent review by federal courts.

Years later someone may get millions in a lawsuit.

Holy crap.

2 Likes

Good for them. I fully support that.

This could make for a very interesting discussion. There is clearly a need in the economy today for interstate and international travel. What happens though when there is a public health risk in uncontrolled travel?