Can the government restrict travel out of the New York area?

How about the national guard

Having them restrict travel? Needing to see papers for someones reason to be on the interstate? What are you asking exactly?

Yep on the highways. Governors activate them unless i am wrong.

Courts tend to be very reluctant to interfere in cases of national emergency.

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the US citizens of Japanese origin in World War II. That at least had a pretense of invasion as a basis.

The right to travel freely was explicitly stated in the Articles of Confederation, but it is only implied the Constitution.

The U.S. Supreme Court also dealt with the right to travel in the case of Saenz v. Roe , 526 U.S. 489 (1999). In that case, Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the majority, held that the United States Constitution protected three separate aspects of the right to travel among the states:

(1) the right to enter one state and leave another (an inherent right with historical support from the Articles of Confederation),
(2) the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than a hostile stranger (protected by the “Privileges and Immunities” clause in Article IV . . .

I dont think we will need that in this case, i hope I’m right, we will see. This is a bad virus but I think the current restrictions will be enough to slow the spread.

Now if this was a worse virus with a higher mortality rate we might have too. My reasoning is it would basically be war time restrictions during an invasion.

there is no way I support that ■■■■■ one it’s unconstitutional as hell and another people will do whatever is necessary to protect their loved one. Specially for those that have family members or homes outside of city that they’re escaping too. To basically imprisoning them isn’t going to fly no matter how bad it may become.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what i thought. I wasn’t calling you out btw. Just wanted to point to a stupid position.

I don’t think we will but i think if we did we could reach peak faster. But i am nowhere near being an epidemiologist

Please keep going.

That’s a fair point. If this was a worse virus though with a higher mortality rate, would it be wise to let a higher infected area like New York, to spread to other states uncontrolled?

You can kind of tell who favors an all powerful federal government and who favors local government with situations like this.

Personally, I think things like this should be decided at the local level, as the virus is affecting different areas in different ways. Those at the local level know what resources they need to handle the situation in their area. I think decisions on quarantines and travel restrictions should happen at the local level, unless it is a situation where international travel is involved. In that specific case, it is a question of someone entering the country, which I think is a legitimate function of the federal government.

1 Like

I’ll tell you all one thing…things will no longer be the same when this is over. People are going to rethink their lives if they haven’t already. Everything they though they knew or told has become irrelevant. Rural life will be the fashion of the day once this is all said and done.

3 Likes

Can a state close its statelines?

Hawaii just did

That’s a 14 day quarantine, I’ll have to look at that closer.

I would think so. I’ve heard Florida has already done this on the radio - but haven’t verified it yet.

Are you going to hold them in at gun point? Do you want to shoot your fellow Americans just because they want to get their families out?

Hell libs want open border to allow illegals with God know what health problem they have of criminal history.

You libs have sic sense of priorities IMO.

3 Likes

There is a stop for agricultural inspections when travelers enter California.

I think he or she is just asking. That was Socratic. But i don’t mean to butt in

And you get defensive fast, I’m trying to have a discussion here, I haven’t formed my opinion this an interesting subject to me. I’m asking questions here because I like to get opinions from both liberals and conservatives. You wanna call me a lib for that?

There could be another public health crisis with a virus much worse then this, it could really challenge parts of our constitution. It’s worth a discussion.

If you cant handle that then I’m not sure what you are doing here because, I only asked questions.

1 Like