Can the government restrict travel out of the New York area?

I think Trump just announced there will be no quarantine, didn’t he?

I just got a flash on my iPad…let me see if I can find the link.

Yeah he backed off. He had cdc issue a travel advisory

I’m not sure I see the difference in your stance, Conan.

No it won’t.

Things didn’t change after the Spanish Flu, or the Bird Flu of 1957-8 or the 1968 flu.

We will adapt and go on.

We will rethink our emergency health plans…screening to go on international travel will increase…we will rethink supply chains…but we won’t abandon the cities.

It’s been crossing my mind after this madness.

1 Like

Keep in mind I was the one that was warning of dangers of having a virus that as contagious as this one but as deadly as MER’s. That’s a global changer right there. Personally I think we’re getting off pretty lucky here if you ask me.

As for goverment…they aren’t interested in protecting the people. Their only interested in protecting their goverment.

I also find it odd…when my niece was trying to get tested they tested bunch of athletes…and it was my niece that was front line.

Again that’s eye opener.

Sorry…people shouldn’t rely on goverment for their well being. Because they will pick the winners and losers.

2 Likes

I bet many are thinking about it right this minute. :wink:

Absolutely correct…

Take guns for example…there are many here on this very forum want to trample on our Constitutional rights. Once you allow goverment to do that for betterment of of the people, people will no longer have their freedom.

It’s slippery slope.

2 Likes

I understand and agree. But in regards to interstate travel, would it not make sense to restrict travel if there was a virus that was worse then this?

I’m talking to my cousin in Louisiana right now he said Florida is stopping travelers from New York and Louisiana and instituting a quarantine. Gonna a look that up, but if true, wow.

There going to do something if they don’t get a cute/treatment quick. They can’t keep the country shutdown indefinitely many of these places are out of business for good now. The impact is already in the trillions and the way it’s been handled is “Let’s see what happens”. Trump says quarantine and so does Biden, Cuomo says no something has to give.

Governors in Texas, Florida, Maryland and South Carolina this week ordered people arriving from the New York area —including New Jersey and Connecticut — and other virus hot spots to self-quarantine for at least 14 days upon arrival.

https://www.ajc.com/news/states-impose-new-restrictions-travelers-from-new-york/pzt2BZVTnLHDjfarSZ1c9I/

If you have another residence or family members that you’re going too…I cannot see how goverment can legally prevent you from doing so regardless of circumstances. Now that doesn’t mean goverment itself won’t try. For them they see opportunity to exert their authority.

And once they do…good luck in trying to get it back.

Lets put it this way…when I hear blockade or shutting down freedom of movement red flags starts popping up…and believe me I’m seeing them right now.

You can go, but the state governments are requiring that you quarantine yourself when you arrive.

We have friend in Virginia with a toothache. The state says that her tooth does not qualify as an emergency and therefore she can’t get treatment from a local dentist.

Can she legally drive to another state for treatment?

If so, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the law in Virginia?

She is within a two-hour drive of Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Never let a crisis go to waste?

1 Like

I think this simple article sums it up nicely.

Other areas of the country, are shutting down, who consider themselves to be “corona free”…and sacrificing their Easter season. That shutdown and sacrifice may go much further too…depending on how this pandemic goes?

Another example of him saying some dumb thing he just thought of or heard publicly without thinking about it at all, then having to back off when he’s shown it’s a terrible idea. Locking down NY would obliterate the economy and Cuomo would sue. It’s a stupid stupid idea.

VA doesn’t have a shelter in place right now. Or any restrictions other than strong recommendations that I’m aware of.