Can Boris Survive?

Ours should be as well.

He lives!

For the electorate in the UK, Johnson breaking the lockdown rules is a big deal and was enough for MPs of his own party to force a no confidence vote. It was nothing to do with Ukraine or the economy.

Plus he lied repeatedly to Parliament. His own party sees him as a hidnerance to winning the next election.

This might not fit in with how you see the world or how you personally feel about covid lockdowns but its the reality in the UK.

2 Likes

I read this in Churchill’s voice

2 Likes

Or perhaps MI6 and their friends have decided that Johnson has not been such a great choice for PM after all.

Yes thats it - another conspiracy. :roll_eyes:

Wow, a pro-China crank blog.

Barking mad.

1 Like

It is just recognizing that elected governments are mainly just for show. The real power is in the entrenched bureaucrats and their allies.

Given the pervasive surveillance of all electronic communications, the people who have access to the surveillance have a huge power to intimidate or blackmail elected officials.

That is certainly true in the US. My understanding is that the UK has similar laws that make it virtually impossible to fire government workers.

Wrong

Wrong again about the UK. In the UK whether you work for the civil service or private business you have to show cause for letting someone go and have to be consistent. Employers also have to provide employees with a written contract.

All employees in the UK have much better protections when it comes to their job than the US.

And now I have said another country does something better than the US I am listening out for the pattering of feet to google in a desperate attempt to prove it wrong.

Yes, layoffs based on seniority are possible.

Firing bureaucrats who ignore and subvert the commands from the elected government is virtually impossible. The only way this could change would require the repeal of civil service laws.

While much of the bureaucracy are like the fictional vogons, there are elements who are more interested in control and subversion of the government. In the US media they were celebrated as the “resistance” under Trump.

US government workers can be fired like any employee but they have the added layer of protection that like workers in the UK they have to be fired for cause.

Because this is a right that is not afforded to non government workers in the US it does create the perception that government workers cannot be fired.

All US employees should enjoy that basic right. Other developed nations extend this right and they have successful viable functioning economies

Back on topic I am beginning to think Boris will go for a snap election.

Boris is very good at electioneering and can connect with individuals. He has engineered this foppish bon vivant personality but he is anything but stupid.

Starmer who is leader of the labour party does not have the same immediate likability factor.

Its a risk but If he wins he is safe as PM.

Lol. Yeah I get it but no one should underestimate him.

Listening to LBC this morning a lot of callers are supporting him and saying yea Boris lied but thats just his way!!! LMAO I know its the cult of personality. This is a man who lied repeatedly and to Parliament but its okay no big deal.

So awhile back I read Boris Johnson’s novel where he tried to write a PG Wodehouse novel starring an MP named Joris Bohnson or something. It’s really. . .something. As an insight into his thinking because it’s a self-insert character, it’s pretty concerning.

Lying and hypocrisy are practically universal among politicians, and so long as the economy is doing well most people don’t really care. Bill Clinton was prime example.

Years of lockdowns and now the self-inflected embargo on Russian oil, gas, and food is driving a massive drop in real income and a looming recession. The elites who control the British media supported the lockdowns and the sanctions, so they do not want to admit what is really driving things.

The rapidly expanding economic crisis and Russian victories in Ukraine are quietly creating panic in the governments of Europe. Regime change is on the horizon even if western media are doing their best to ignore it.

Yes, the Tory’s have completely mismanaged the economy and brexit is a disater.

Still, could be worse…

Johnson could be gone by the morning.

Good

Just listening to Andrew Marr on LBC about this.

I have to agree you cannot lose your Chancellor and Health Secretary and still remain as a viable PM.

But I never underestimate BoJo. The end of Boris has been predicted before and he still hangs onto power. But yes the reality is that his cabinet will want him to go.