Can Boris Survive?

Elections for the 1922 Committee next week, so the rebels will be able to have another vote of confidence if they change the rules.

They can also put pressure on BoJo to go which I think will fall on deaf ears.

The grey men are going to knife him one way or another.

1 Like

Johnson is rapidly losing any remaining support from his own party. Is it time for another trip to Kiev?

Not even attempting to be a “war time” PM will save him.

BBC reports Boris is resigning as Tory leader today. Wants to stay on as PM until the Tories pick a new leader. I expect early elections in Great Britain.

https://www.bbc.com/news

Scandals have been the pretext for the removal of Johnson. The reality is that Johnson is implicitly getting the blame for a severe financial crisis with falling standard of living, recession, and record trade deficits.

The ongoing sanctions war with Russia is the main driving force driving the economic crisis, but no one is willing to admit that. The media do their best to ignore the obvious link between throttling imports of Russian energy and the massive increases in energy costs that driving the British economy into the ground. No major party is proposing to change direction on the sanctions. The London elites are in lockstep with the party line from Washington.

The UK is going to end up with a new PM, but the problems are only going to get worse unless there is a major change in actual policy.

https://www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/uk-living-standards-falling-record-pace?type=wage-trackers

Almost like the hard Brexit was incredibly ■■■■■■■ stupid.

No the primary reason is Bojo is mired in scandal, lies and is a distracting the tories trying to address the issues you stated.

His cabinet disintegrated in the last 48 hours with even new appointees resigning hours after taking up a new role.

Then we had Nadhim Zahawi who just moved into the Chancellor role going all Game of Thrones on Boris and setting himself up for a run for PM.

Though the current favourite to replace Bojo is Rushi Sunak who resigned as Chancellor.

Ooooohhh I am sure those weird foreign sounding names will ruffle some feathers and we can talk about how Britain is no longer British LOL. I am already seeing those sentiments being expressed on the interweb.

1 Like

The last thing the Tories want is a general election. It would be a disaster for them.

Well, the national food of Britain is curry . . .

Indeed it is. I have yet to find a Indian restaurant in the US that matches what I get back home in blighty.

Lived for a time in a small town just outside of Manchester and the high street had one chippy and 3 indian restaurants. Dont get me started on the garbage that passes as British fish and chips here in Indy. Cant even get a decent curry sauce or mushy peas. :grinning:

Now I am hungry.

Germany is still in the EU and is facing similar economic problems. Brexit is not the primary driver.

Here is an interesting commentary about how the boomerang effects of NATO’s sanction war are affecting Europe. Things are only going to get worse. Russia is just starting to respond to the NATO sanctions.

8:40 Europe is looking at extreme measures. Germany is talking about lockdowns to control energy use. Nigel Farage is proposing fracking in the UK, but it would take years for even an aggressive program to have a significant effect on natural gas supplies. Britain has a massive trade deficit; the current value of the pound is not sustainable. The sanctions war is the elephant in the room.

14:00 Russia is starting a wheat-for-rubles program. Russia is realizing that they have a strong position, and they are gradually starting to tighten the screws against NATO and its allies.

Absolute bollocks.

You can read the resignation letters which spell out that this was because his lies caught up with him in the end, nothing to do with the econony or Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine.

Only a deranged propagandist would make that claim and make themselves look an utter fool, ignorant of even the basics of british politics.

1 Like

Yes, the scandals are the official explanation. Of course today’s statement from Johnson included this message to Ukraine:

. . . in the last few months leading the west in standing up to Putin’s aggression in Ukraine and let me say now to the people of Ukraine that I know that we in the UK will continue to back your fight for freedom for as long as it takes . . .

The reality is that the British economy is bad and getting worse, while Ukraine is losing on the battlefield. At some point even the London elites will have to admit that the British public have been a big loser in the sanctions war, which has done nothing to help the people of Ukraine.

Boris Johnson is the epitomy of the London elite.

Do you know who the favourite to replace him is?

The defence secretary, the man most respsonsible for the UKs policy in Ukraine.

Give it up, attempts to shoehorn a pro russian narrative on this topic is laughable.

1 Like

Yes, the same failed policies are going to continue with another face as PM. No major party is ready to change course on the sanctions, so things are only going to get worse.

There has been a fire hose of pro-Ukrainian disinformation flooding the British media for months. The sad reality is that there is no ghost of Kiev to rescue the Ukrainian forces on the battlefield. The effects of the sanctions war are only going to get worse for consumers in Britain, while the sanctions do nothing to stop the Russian advance.

No amount of propaganda will be able to hide run-away inflation, power blackouts, and fuel shortages. The current situation is not sustainable.

Off topic, delete please

The topic is the future of Boris Johnson and his policies.

Boris Johnson is on his way out, but his failed policies will remain. Nothing of substance will change.

Or can you point to any British political leader who is willing to reverse Johnson’s policies on sanctions?

So your conjecture is that Johnson is getting the blame for things and will be replaced by someone who will do…exactly the.same things?

In reality he is a right wing populist who lied through his corrupt tenure, until he lost his charm and people figured out he was a vacuos charlatan, unfit for public office.

Remind you of anyone?

1 Like