"Build Back Better" equals Make China Great not America

Let’s ask democrats

After a 16-month investigation into competitive practices at Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google, the House Judiciary subcommittee on antitrust has released its findings and recommendations on how to reform laws to fit the digital age.

The report concludes that the four Big Tech companies enjoy monopoly power and suggests Congress take up changes to antitrust laws that could result in parts of their businesses being separated.

Republicans have voiced objections to some of the bolder proposals in the report, such as imposing structural separations.

On this rare occasion, I agree with them.

1 Like

Impressive…you read a 40 page study in a few minutes. Or not.

Facebook and Google, I agree. Amazon and Apple, not so much.

Was the headline misleading?

Many can’t do what you say you do.

So they have to go to Amazon and to WalMart.

That’s the entire point Guilds was making.

This is where Reaganomics and then neo-liberal policies have gotten us.

1 Like

The report seem to be saying Amazons monopoly power is over merchants, not consumers.

Well, that could be an issue. Would need to know what they are doing, and if it could be fixed.

Has Amazon bought a lot of companies, like FB and Google have?

Of course not. But it was a lot more than just Oregon and Alaska.

Well admittedly I didn’t read it, for the simple fact that the people who wrote it have a vested interest in the outcome.

They’ve built a premier shipping and logistics system, which allows them to cow merchants into using them.

Much like when the Rockefellers owned the railroads.

I agree amazon has done that. But what is stopping other large corps from doing the same? Walmart has tons of money, and has been trying to take some of that market share.

And there are 1000’s of good, online retailers out there.

I am just not seeing a monopoly…I can certainly be wrong.

I don’t need legislation to acknowledge what I choose is right…or wrong? I deeply care about my fellow Americans and want the very best opportunities for them. Doing business with Amazon decreases the opportunities for the masses, while lining the pockets of a few with stupid amounts of money.

Well, if you truly want the very best opportunities for as many as possible, it will need to be done legislatively. You know the old saying about wishing in one hand…

I mean, sometimes cheap is good.

I have a TCL 55” 2017 4K TV.

It’s the best tv I’ve ever owned. It’s never given me any issue.

It was designed in China (TCL is a Chinese corporation) and assembled there.

I only paid 450 bucks for it back when it was new.

Is it as nice as a comparable Sony or Samsung. No. But it was also half the price for the same specifications.

How many slaves were involved in its production?

Side note: best bang for the buck television brand on the market.

Now the question you maybe should ask yourself is, how much of the earth was poisoned due to no pollution regulations, that lowered the cost, for your cheap tv? If you fully knew all of the costs, you may not be as happy?

I agree with the others on this thread. Did Greta hack your account?

I love the outdoors and consider the clean environment to be priceless. What I’m saying to you is, if you thought about the total cost…not just what you paid at the register, you may have a different mindset towards our discussion?

Just because all of China’s pollution is out of sight, don’t let it be out of your mind.

More than I’m comfortable with I’m sure.

1 virtual slave is too many. But at the time, it’s not like I had a lot of choices. All of the TVs in my price range were all assembled in China.

That’s the kicker.