Breaking: US Citizen Detained And Tortured In Saudi Arabia

oh just wait till those people who ran off to join ISIS start trying to come back… its a real legal nightmare. (we currently have a few of those in Canada)

I know you won’t be but you should be embarrassed. Your weak fealty to Trump has truly wrecked your morality.

I ask the Trump sycophants the same question:

If Obama did the same thing would you have the same reaction?

Don’t bother answering. I already know the answer. We all do.

It’s usually “our allies don’t respect us, the president is feckless” in this scenario.

1 Like

Might want to look it up. Not forcing you to renounce is not the same as recognizing.

No they do recognize it. I have several friends who are from the UK and have US citizenship. They have both a US and UK passport. They vote legally in both the US and UK elections.

My immigration lawyer who assisted with my green card application also states the same thing.

I believe Mr. Fitaihi deserves the same reaction from the US as any other citizen could expect.

Try looking at the official position.

There is no offical position on duel-citizenship.

There is actually no official position. You can post as many as times as you want that I cannot but the truth is I can get US citizenship and be afforded all the rights you have except becoming President.

1 Like

The only legal benefit you get for being British is they might defend you in some legal cases.

Well you also get to vote in UK elections and if you keep up your National Insurance contributions you can use the National Health Service and keep your state pension.

Those are British thing not part of the American legal system.

If I was Canadian living in America I don’t get any special rights and vise versa.

Actually there is. The US does not formally recognize dual citizenship. Which means it does not recognize it. We simply do not require renouncing. There is a difference.

And what rights are those in the context of Mr. Fitaihi’s case?

So what does this mean exactly?

Does the United States consider Walih Fitaihi and American citizen or not?

Well if he was canadians the government would be responsible to make sure his human rights as defined by the UN are being met during his imprisonment.

The US State Department won’t do that. They used to have a list of “recommended lawyers” from the host nation. Last time I checked, they wouldn’t even do that.

There is a myth that the State Department is in these countries for US citizens - that simply isn’t so. Oh, they’ll get you a new passport or issue a Certificate of Birth abroad, but citizen services is not why they are there.

They are there to maintain trade relations.

Im glad im Canadian

So am I.

1 Like

I wonder why this is just now coming out?