Breaking: US Citizen Detained And Tortured In Saudi Arabia

As a US Citizen, if we have treaties with a country, then the US Citizen has certain rights (NK doesn’t fall into the category)

As a dual citizen (as apparently the case in the SA story in the op), and they never renounced their citizenship in that country, and the country doesn’t recognize the dual citizenship, then the person isn’t afforded the same rights.

Who’s to blame that he was in SA to be arrested?

If he is Saudi’s citizen not much we can do now can we?

So tell me what do YOU think we should do?

Is Jamaal Khasoggi to blame for daring to walk into a consulate?

How about America stops going out of it’s way to excuse wretched behavior by nations like Russia, North Korea, and Saudi Arabia just because our President likes having his ego stroked?

1 Like

He went there of his own free will. That after e-mails show he was warning other dissadents NOT to go to any private location with government officials. You know places like an embasy. As I said stupid should hurt (and by the way he was NOT a U.S. Citizen)

We have had normal relations with all those contries prior to Trump.

I’m curious to know what treaty gives American citizens rights in Saudi Arabia.

We did not have a government that went out of it’s way to excuse the murder of innocents before Trump.

Your argument is nonsensical. Are you saying that as far as the US government is concerned a US citizen that has dual citizenship is somehow less of a US citizen?

The US embassy and consulate website makes no mention that Saudi Arabia affords US citizens additional rights in Saudi Arabia.

Do you feel the same way about that kid who was tortured to death for stealing a flag in north korea

US citizen very much don’t have special rights in other countries.

Agreed but its the job of the U.S State department to make sure that U.S citizen human right as defined by the UN are not violated.

That isn’t relevant he is a U.S citizen that makes it the job of the U.S government to protect/defend his human rights as defined in international agreements.

It doesn’t matter what SA considers him, they could consider him a moon person it isn’t relevant.
he is a U.S citizen by American law meaning it is the job of the U.S government to defend his human rights.

A Turkish consulate?

No it isn’t.

It very much is and the state department has been sued numerous times for failing to do so.

Does the US recognize dual citizenship?

Yes it does, I can become a US citizen and keep my British citizenship.

Funny enough the Canadian government was sued and a terrorist was given 10 million dollar because the Canadian government failed do everything in their power to protect his human rights when he was being detained in GITMO.

I’m trying really hard to understand when we should care about Americans being mistreated abroad.

It seems we should only care when a (D) is President or else that brief moment when an ( R ) President “gets him released”…but then he dies anyway…then we don’t have to care as long as the dictator “felt really bad” about the death.

It’s a very complex calculus for sure.

1 Like