Bos'un's ChatBox

When I was a kid my mom and dad took us to the Art Institute…they had an awesome armor exhibit with all kinds of ancient armor and weapons. But while we were there there was an impressionist exhibit which I fell I love with. I have especially become a fan of Renoir. I have several repints in my home

2 Likes

This be my favorite. Dance in the City

The young lady bore a striking resemblance to the one who almost got away. Bought in the two year period that we were apart. My parents took it without my knowing and had it framed for us. It was a 1st anniversary present.

3 Likes

I think I started a trend wearing cowgirl boots on Mondays to class.

I saw three more people wearing the same style of boots. One guy had a bolo tie and a two gallon hat as well.

1 Like

Nice.boots. :cowboy_hat_face::+1:

1 Like

Just a random thought here, foul language warning at the end. Three versions of the Serenity Prayer exist, one for the spiritual:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

the courage to change the things I can,

and the wisdom to know the difference.

Amen

For the more secular, am really starting to like this expression:

It is what it is.

And for the crude:

■■■■ it.

1 Like

I had forgotten about that prayer. Perhaps I need to use it more often.

Me, too

1 Like

My instructor is going to make our next Virology exam easier because everyone complained the test was too hard (after being given the questions over email, and making the exam take home and open book/note).

Bitch, you have the largest clique in class (I think I know who complained), and all of this, yet you still going to complain? The sad part is, he is doing this because he is under so much stress already trying to get the department accreditation renewed and other duties as department chair, and he didnt “want the stress.” They basically bullied him into this.

These dumb ■■■■■ are not only cheating everyone out of the advantage of collaboration and adding to the toxicity of the class environment, but they want to cheat me (and quite frankly everyone) out of a good education too by diluting the tests.

■■■■ them.

1 Like

I love to hear you calling ■■■■ as it is

1 Like

It’s just a completion assignment at this point.

I’ll vote for anyone if my bike can be shipped to me faster! (This is a random photo)

Not everyone’s taste I bet…but I’m salivating cant wait to ride it…

2 Likes

Me too

2 Likes

Flame this exact same nonsense took place at now defunct Mount Ida College near Boston. And it’s a shame it closed its doors because they had some good vocational programs.

A colleague of mine was an adult student in a senior biochemistry course, and many full time students were struggling to pass the course. Why were they struggling?

Failure to attend class and do homework. “Gee, Janet, I’m 10 years older than the average student and working full time, and I showed up, did the homework and passed the course.”

So do the students buckle down and work harder? Nope.

Like your class bullies, they made a complaint about the PROFESSOR making the course too difficult.
He was adjunct faculty and voluntarily resigned.

So now “Hank” has finished his forensic science degree & has had several interesting jobs, while Mount Ida College has shut its doors. I’ve no idea what became of the complainant students.

I wonder if your complainers will fare well in MCATs or state board exams.

1 Like

I’m always amazed by what some college students post on www.ratemyprofessor.com

Try it & see if any of yours are reviewed. Sometimes I think I should have rejected or delayed college, but then I wouldn’t have had some of the experiences or made some of the acquaintances I did.

One example: “Her class is not an easy A.” Were you entitled to it? Did you, I don’t know, learn some French?

One made an obscene comment about a poli sci professor’s physique and said Dr. L should be “fired”.

:exploding_head:Obviously this dweeb doesn’t know about academia or tenure.

1 Like

So someone hired a professional mariachi band to play in the lobby of one of the dorm halls.

nice looking You, sir, are born to ride happy. :motorcycle:

1 Like

So my high school AFJROTC now has a marksmanship team. Wish we had that when I was there. Unfortunately we had a hoplophobe (can’t remember her name) as super intendent freshman and sophomore years of HS and not Dr. Hartzler (who happens to be Conservative)

I’m scared for the future of modern medicine in the U S. Isn’t it difficult once students are admitted to medical college to expel them?

I do find it heartening more westerners are at least open to various forms of nonwestern medicine, at least as complimentary therapy. There are some students in the U S who want to learn the most to care for patients.

However, the examples of Hank’s and yours in two separate institutions point to some disturbing differences between future western doctors and practitioners in such fields as Traditional Chinese Medicine:

This amazing man took the time to adapt to his Taiwanese host by learning Mandarin and volunteering for demonstrations. He wanted to learn. I highly recommend his YouTube videos for those who want to learn more about Qigong and its benefits.

Yet some college students in the U S whine a senior biochemistry or virology course is too difficult :disappointed_relieved:

That’s pretty disturbing.

1 Like

I am having a field day with Virology- 88.5% in there (thank Jesus I have been able to keep it up), likely to rise since he is giving us EC that will replace an exam grade. Ecology is the one eating my lunch this semester, and that is because I am not good with environmental science (like with lake Ecology):sweat_smile:

I get what you mean. I have come across some terrible doctors in the last year or so. There is also the toxicity (or at least immaturity) in many pre-med cultures at universities. It’s scary to think these people can beat more holistic, well-rounded folks into medical school. But that is what the interview is for, to screen toxic people out.

Yes, absolutely with non-traditional medicine. DO schools teach something called Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, which is a bit like chiropractic medicine but with different intentions. The idea is that many ailments are produced through misalignment of the body. They also tend to view the body as a whole system, not just something made up of systems (no offense to MDs )

Allopathic medicine is effective and it is important. However, I think it should be supplemented with non-western types of medicine, and perhaps these natural medicines should be more of a first-line treatment, especially when preventing something.

1 Like

“…not just something made up of systems…”

That’s one of my gripes with western medicine. It doesn’t really look at patients as whole human beings whose systems are interrelated, but as groups of separate systems.

Not who is this patient, as an Ayurvedic physician sees, but what’s the chief complaint? Think about a car problem.

If a fuel line, for instance, is rusty and fuel isn’t getting delivered to the tank, is it strictly the fuel system that’s affected? Nope. The whole car is going to leave you stranded.

There are various mind body wellness practitioners who understand the emotional and spiritual wellness of their patients as crucial to their overall health. It seems as a rule, though, wellness in the U S prioritizes access to the doctor.

Does anyone stop to think that in some of these places with universal systems, nutritional habits aren’t as conducive to illness? These may be more active peoples more likely to walk and use public transit, less likely to be grossly overweight?

They don’t even use the doctor as a first source, but the pharmacist. Doctors and professionals like nurse midwives are needed, but more emphasis is needed in such areas as nutrition, activity, spiritual and mental wellness as well.

Just my two cents.

1 Like