Black actor beaten and almost lynched by mask wearing thugs

I disagree. Otherwise the stats would simply be “crimes”. Not “crimes REPORTED”.

Maybe if the original report can be found it would be clearer as to what it’s actually referring to.

That one point notwithstanding, I also pointed out that the increase includes all hate crimes, including MAGA-hate and all sorts of other vandalisms and assaults. Your initial response seems to discount those, but they’re in there.

One additional thing: They don’t address this in the article, but I contend a lot of the increase is due to an expansion of what we now include under “hate crime”. Vandalism to a church. Or a political headquarters. And many assaults that weren’t categorized as “hate” a few years ago are now labeled as “hate” today.

2 Likes

I can’t think of why vandalism to a church wouldn’t have been called a hate crime.

Nonetheless, it wasn’t always. Your statement makes my point. We’ve expanded what we categorize as hate crimes. At least some of the growth in reported hate crimes is a reflection of moved goalposts.

I don’t believe it’s never been otherwise was my point. For example, when the KKK torched black churches in the '50s, that was considered a hate crime. What specifically are you referring to?

Huh. Another hate hoax…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/gay-rights-activist-set-fire-to-his-own-home-in-fake-hate-crime-michigan-police-say/ar-BBU4OS5?li=BBnbcA1

And not the only one.
"Wilfred Reilly, an associate professor of political science at Kentucky State University in Frankfort who has studied fake hate crimes, wrote that the fact that Smollett’s case is being alleged a hoax “shouldn’t surprise anyone.”

Reiley didn’t mention the Joly case but made the case in an opinion piece for USA Today and a book “Hate Crime Hoax: How the Left is Selling a Fake Race War,” that “a great many hate crime stories turn out to be hoaxes.”

The professor said he found more than 400 confirmed hate hoaxes, and he concluded that “what hate hoaxers actually do is worsen generally good race relations, and distract attention from real problems.”

Not trying to. I don’t see a separation point about church violence. You do. That’s all I was trying to find out.

So another idiot does a fake hate crime. That doesn’t change the tragedy of hate crimes at all.

That is true. There is also no way anyone would initially know that it did happen like he said it did.
Why not report what was known? “Smollett reported that two white men wearing MAGA caps yada yada yada…Police are investigating”

But “murder” is not always “murder”.

Intent has always mattered, since the earliest common law courts.

Do you think a man who murders someone who raped his daughter should be punished the same as a mob boss who kills a witness against them?

What about a man who kills his wife in a jealous rage when he catches her with another man? Should he be punished the same as a man who cold-heartedly planned the murder of his wife for her life insurance?

That’s the way it would’ve been reported. Can you show me that it wasn’t reported that way?

In my first post in this thread way back on Jan 29th I said this:

So we are too believe the had ropes and bleach with them AND recognized him as an actor and said are that Empire N-word? This sounds so staged.

I recognized this as being obviously false because of how ridiculous and unlikely it sounded. It literally sounded like something a Hollywood script writer would make up.

Others like you believed it because you wanted it to be true because it would confirm what you want to believe is true about Trump America.

Most people relied on the facts that we knew at the time. There’s nothing wrong with that. And I certainly am not going to apologize for that. And neither should anybody else.

Look at the article in the OP. Scroll down to the first report.
"Empire" star Jussie Smollett was brutally attacked by 2 men who beat him up, put his head in a noose and screamed, "This is MAGA country."

Had they said that Smollett had reported this, it would have been a true statement.

As it is, it is not a true statement.

Remember the childhood story about the boy who cried wolf? That is what the Smollets of the country are doing … causing more and more people to react to legitimate hate crime reports with skepticism. You should be outraged rather than rationalizing this growing “anything goes” behavior.

1 Like

Nor does it change, other than to add to slightly, the damage done to this country by the large number of fake hate crimes.

Are you kidding? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No on the first one, yes on the second.