Billionaire Bezos Busted

I’ll be damned. Something we agree about.

It also just contributes to the sameness of america. Hate that. No difference between any town…could be in NJ, could be in Arkansas when you are out on the retail highway looking at HD and WM and all the ■■■■■■ food chains…absolutely hate it.

you just called me a liar.

Last year, I ordered between 100 and 200 items.

2012 through 2016 were not much different.

Quality is going down.

I don’t have a problem with customer service.

Now… in comparison, how many items is your experience based on?

I’ve been ordering stuff from Amazon for years. The few times the item has been broken or missing a piece, I simply request a replacement, and without hesitation, I get that replacement. Open packages is not the fault of Amazon, its either the shipping company or nosy neighbors.

I like how Ismael claims “quality has gone down”. How is that Amazon’s fault? They simply ship the item, they don’t make it or produce it.

1 Like

If its the quality of the product, that is not Amazon’s fault.

1 Like

If I’m to fix a problem, I’ve got to fully understand it first. In this case, I don’t. What I do know though is that if the man at the top became the richest man in the world in this short a time period while many of his employees are on food stamps, there’s a problem that needs to be fixed.

the handling of the shipping.

There is a measure of quality that can be assigned to that. And … just the other day received two identical items in one pouch. Pouch was sealed… not torn at all. One item was intact in it’s own plastic packaging inside the pouch. One was in a ripped package and a part was missing.

That’s Amazon.

no it’s the the quality of a product.

Unacceptable. Bezos needs to do better. I feel guilty for using Amazon services so much. When people come and deliver my packages in their personal cars on Sunday evening, I assumed they were being paid a lot.

I don’t know what to do now.

Sounds like you hate capitalism. If mom and pop stores/local businesses don’t adapt, they die. That’s always been the case.

The WalMart in my small college town put a few mom and pops out of business when it first moved in, but those mom and pops were really shoddy, had a very small selection of products, and didn’t even try to compete with prices. Welcome to economics, mom and pop.

I’ve literally never seen that be the case. I’ve never seen quick, drastic price changes from a WalMart. I’ve been paying $2-3 for milk (not counting the milk/egg wars that sometimes happen) as long as I can remember. Sure, prices rise occasionally, but that happens regardless of whether it’s WalMart or mom and pop.

And I mean…the big box store model is just being perpetuated by republicans, so it’s hard to see why your’e so mad about it. The only thing that would stop it is regulation, and you certainly don’t want that.

1 Like

another case…
ordered some corrosion preventative that comes in a small plastic tub… like 3 inches diameter. It arrived in a pouch in the mailbox. The lid was cracked and had a piece missing. Inside the pouch was the missing piece. Amazon did not protect that product sufficiently.

It’s Amazon.

I use Amazon and will continue to. I’m just saying that their handling and shipping quality has gone down. I find it hard to believe that someone else here orders as much as I do and has a zero defect experience. or maybe you are just ordering a dozen items a year and think you have a representative amount of experience. Pffft

hand-pick vs pallet load.

Any man who works with hus back can tell ya:
In fairness retail distribution warehouses, like UPS, the post office etc., are demanding grueling places to work. Eight hours on the belt or 8 hours building pallets can feel like a day in hell to a typical McDonald’s employee, retail worker, office intern etc. etc…

As with mining, javelin catching, army infantry etc., there is NO easy, obvious way to make it as easy as making french fries, driving Uber or cleaning offices, and even a ten-minute bathroom break can create a costly domino effect of chaos and mis-shipped letters, airline luggage or chia pets.

But that is WHY the job has traditionally paid more than other unskilled work, cones with benefits, is frequently unionized (Teamsters!) etc. etc…

This thread isn’t specifically about a lot of the topics being discussed, but taxes are a relevant topic on the subject.

I’m not patting myself on the back for anything. I’m not glad that CEOs are just paying themselves and their buddies more on the backs of their workers. I’m simply describing the reality of the situation. You thought and hoped the tax cuts would trickle down, but there’s literally no incentive for that to happen. CEOs will maintain maximum productivity for minimal cost-if they can get away with paying little and treating employees like ■■■■ because no one is doing anything about that, they will. Profits go up, wages stay the same.

If you want it to change, it’s going to require some regulations. You know, the things that republicans traditionally say get in the way of businesses making money (which they’ve had absolutely no problem doing even with regulations).

Oh I think the free market does a pretty damn good job of sorting out such things.

You were probably typing while I wrote it, but hand-picked style warehousing has LONG been tough grueling work and, over time, the free market has always foiled entrepreneurs who try to pay McWages to workers doing “real jobs.”

I did not anticipate smart phones and I thought bottled water, were both stupid passing fads. But I don’t think the Amazon warehouse model (paying McWages for real jobs) will be around very long.

Of course with The WaPo and CNN and the NYTimes being so fixated on their anti-Trump obsessions WHAT replaces it might be even worse than what the free market would replace it with.

I gave you an either or. Either you’re making things up, or you’re blaming Amazon for things that weren’t their fault.

Quality of what? Like I said, I’ve been using Amazon since there’s been Amazon, and if quality has gone down, then how is that Amazon’s fault? Most products on Amazon aren’t made by Amazon.

Hundreds over the years. I’ve never had an item come to me damaged. I’ve had low quality items arrive, but that wasn’t Amazon’s fault-and they refunded or replaced the items without any hassle whatsoever. And very quickly, too.

My point exactly. Amazon does have their own brand of many items-Echo/Dot, Fire Sticks, Fire tablets, cords, etc. But I’ve always had great experiences with those products. I’m on my second Fire Stick, got my mom a Fire tablet for Christmas when it first came out, ordered a plethora of cords/tables/etc. that were made by Amazon, and I’ve never had a problem. I once ordered the wrong media converter from them, and they just told me to keep it and they refunded me the money anyway.

Or maybe you’ve just gotten unlucky.

I’ve ordered everything from projector lamps, to DVDs, to camping/outdoors gear, from shoes, to guitar/ukulele/dulcimer strings, delicate electronics, etc. I’ve never…not a single time…had an item arrive broke or defective due to improper shipping. If anything, everything I’ve ever ordered has been very well packaged and protected.

If you order products directly from Amazon and not from a third-party seller, you shouldn’t have a problem. Used items are just that – used. They pack their stuff good, too. That said, you can find bargains from their-party sellers, especially in non-breakable stuff. What are you ordering, anyway? :slight_smile:

I’m a big Kindle fan. I have two and love 'em.

1 Like

I agree.

Do you think giving Bezos a tax cut - both personally, and to his corporation - helped fix this problem?

1 Like

We order a ton. But are consciously trying not to recently.

We are now buying books that we can’t get from our library from Powell’s books in Portland Or. Iconic independent store full of charm.

BTW, I can’t think of a single item shipping wrong or damaged from Amazon.

1 Like