Billionaire Bezos Busted

Good for you and I mean that sincerely.

It’s only wrong if it’s illegal?

Thank you. We are thrilled he loves his job and is so happy. Life is good.

I have a deep and abiding hatred for stores like Wallyworld.

They literally destroy small town economies bankrupting small business after small business.

I never really “got that” till I saw it first hand when a Walmart Supercenter opened in the small down where I went to college.

Devastating is an understatement. Numerous small business owners I’d know for years lost their businesses and to add insult to injury ended up eventually having to go to work for the same company that put them out of business to start with.

Walmart has the resources to come into a town negotiate sweet deals on taxes, capital improvements etc, and the cash to sell at losses until the competition is bankrupted then jacks them up once they have their virtual monopoly established.

Holy smokes!

I didn’t know a tenth of it!

Did I see a Washington Post article in there?

You know" Bezos says they are independent and don’t shape their news coverage according to his wishes.

1 Like

Can’t speak for anyone else, but that was exactly my thoughts as I was reading the OP.

Of course that’s true.
Nonetheless the story is newsworthy and of interest to cons and libs alike.

I think the workers should unionize. U,m thinking payroll is probably 0.01% of Amazon’s cost and given the bad publicity, Bezos could double or triple employee expenses and not be noticeably worse off.

I am pretty sure constitutional conservatives are already familiar with this, but for those who wish to sidesteo the issue and instead discuss what conservatives think or say I present.

Article 1 Sec. 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; . . . . . .

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Hmm Roosevelt argued that a single-state small business chicken company was “interstate commerce” and therefore Congress had the power to force a minimum wage, SS, labor conditions etc. etc. upon that so-called interstate commerce.

I think Amazon and the WaPo etc. are probably under the ACTUAL meaning of interstate commerce.

Am I understanding this correctly that Trump supporters who call themselves conservative want the government to collect taxes by means of Amazon?

that was the standard set when trump was… and still is… hiring foreign workers instead of americans…

No it isn’t. Never has been.

I’m from the right and I’ve cared long before Trump became POTUS. It’s the negative direction I believe the country has been going for decades that motivated my vote for Trump.

Weren’t some of you cheering this stuff back when we were telling you things like NAFTA would lead to this? Service industry jobs don’t pay well. Never have. Now you’re surprised that people working in the service industry are also on food stamps? Yeah, it’s real mind boggling. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, so NOW something can be wrong if it’s illegal.

In the capital gains thread, this is exactly the type of thing I was telling you about regarding record profits.

Tax cuts for businesses aren’t going to help the little guy at Amazon, or WalMart, or anywhere else long-term. Hey, nice 1-time bonus you got there! Yet what’s mostly going to happen is that people like Bezos are going to get richer while doing the bare minimum for workers.

quality has gone down too.

I order stuff all the time.

parts missing or broken, packages opened, wrong stuff.

I’ve literally never been sent the wrong thing by Amazon, and I’ve been ordering from them as long as there has been Amazon. I’ve had some low quality products, but that wasn’t Amazon’s fault-it was the manufacturer or the company selling through Amazon.

Amazon’s customer service has really been amazing as long as I’ve been using them. Not only have I had literally zero problems ever returning or exchanging an item, but sometimes when I’ve bought items that were Amazon brand and needed to return it, they just refunded me the cost of the item and didn’t require me to send the item back.

Sounds like you’re either making things up, or are trying to blame Amazon for things that weren’t their fault. Not surprising, given your affinity for Trump.

Yes, we should have higher minimum wages so the american tax payer doesn’t subsidize corporate work forces. Couldn’t agree more.

We also should have stronger regulatory enforcement of safe work environments.

This thread is not about tax cuts
and as the economy grows one would expect everything from corporate profits to employee wages to grow. So don’t throw your arm out patting yourself on the back.

Back to topic
Bezos and Amazon’s working conditions.

I had read/heard that working conditions at Whole Foods had deteriorated SUBSTANTIALLY since Amazon took over Whole Foods, but it appeared to be “growing pains,” and a rotten dishonest culture among Whole Foods middle managers. (Retail management has long been notorious. Reputation as petty, small minded, emotional 6-year olds on a power trip. etc. )

Sean has put together an impressive series of articles that shows me something I didn’t know.

But what is your - and Trump’s - answer to this? You guys resist regulations that would improve job site safety, and you resist minimum wage increases that would allow Amazon workers to get off food stamps.

Your answer seems to be to get really mad and make tweets, then give Amazon a giant tax cut.