Biden's Stimulus Package

In jersey 5% make minimum wage ($12)

Looks as if the higher minimum wage places more at that number.

Allan

I bet those folks who were making $12 an hour before minimum wage was raised to that amount were pissed when all those people working menial jobs were suddenly making as much as they were. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I worked minimum wage ($3.35) for one month. I’ll never forget this. I overheard an employee say, “Finally, I got my raise after 8 months”. So I asked, how much are you making now? He said $3.80. Of all of the things, that woke me up. I immediately applied for grunt work at UPS but it paid 8 an hour back in '85. Then about a year later I landed a job at New Jersey Bell.

What’s with this living wage? No such thing. It varies way too much depending on how many dependents you have.

2 Likes

Why would people begrudge anyone making more money in America?

Allan

I found that puzzling as well. But people do.

Somebody should figure out the savings that can be expected in welfare expenditures because more people will become ineligible.

2 Likes

That’s debatable.

Minimum wage hikes have not kept pace with inflation since the sixties.

1 Like

I don’t know why the federal government needs to set a one size fits all minimum wage for the entire country? Let the states decide their own minimum wage. A Fed. minimum should be set toward the bottom. It’s basically acting like a safety net in case states don’t ever want to raise it. Sort of like North Carolina. They’d probably pay employees in chocolate chip cookies if they could. But hey, as long as they’re happy, who am I to complain? I just know I wouldn’t even get out of bed for 7.25 an hour.

But do you. I mean people make more than you do. Do you begrudge them?

I think not.

Allan

Walmart is certainly going to feel the pinch if this goes through. Guess they’ll have to quit having their workers sign up for government bennies instead of paying them. No more double dipping either.

1 Like

Class warfare has been a tactic in politics for many years.

1 Like

:rofl: CEOs make 500 times what their employees make!

Wage gap!

Income inequality!

It is the very basis for progressive tax schemes.

Resentment.

1 Like

Meh. It happens gradually, plenty of time to adjust.

Guess it depends on who still ends up qualifying for SNAP when it gets to $15.

There might be some numbers available for Seattle or something, I don’t know. Those numbers will be a weapon for one side or the other sooner or later though.

Begrudging people making more money is a lib thing. But on the other hand, why would anyone begrudge business owners the right to pay their employees what they think they are worth?

2 Likes

You are right. So how does that make it the right of the Government to tell employers how much they pay a person to do a particular job?

Sure a lot of begrudging going on from the left as to how much money some people make. :wink:

1 Like

In some cases they prefer equality to equity.