Biden's Stimulus Package

Then it really shouldn’t be an issue raising it.

It isn’t only one percent that currently make the minimum. Why does a teen need a living wage?

Is a teen’s job magically worth less because of their age?

Shouldn’t teens be able to pay for college? I mean that is one of the ways to get out of earning minimum wage, right?

1 Like

So what percentage do you think that minimum wage workers will lose their jobs.

Allan

Or you could improve your worth to an employer and get a better job.

Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be career jobs.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware pay scale for a job was dependant on its duration. Do all temporary jobs pay minimum wage?

That’s not how it works. Rent is based on demand and the landlord’s desire to have their property fully occupied balanced against running the business at a profit.

1 Like

Really? Then why did area rents suddenly skyrocket in the Beaverton area when Intel started ramping up employment? I’m sure it had nothing to do with the many employees moving from out of State who were making a lot more than their current tenants or anything. I mean the value of those rentals just magically doubled all by themselves, right?

What you keep ignoring is that wages are a significant if not major cost in doing business.

1 Like

Depends on the business actually. Labor is one of the cheaper parts of the industry I work in. Maybe that’s why it pays better?

Which is exactly how minimum wage jobs are traditionally designed to fit into our capitalist society. This pressure from the left to turn all jobs into “living wage” jobs goes completely against that tried and true concept. It’s hard to say where it will lead, but early indications are that it could result in fewer entry level jobs and more automation.

Being unaware is not an excuse. The duration is not the job, it is the individual filling the job. Minimum wage jobs are not intended to be filled by the same person through their entire working life, they are meant for individuals with limited experience and skills. People are expected to improve their worth so as to qualify for better jobs. If the Government forces employers to pay “living wages” for all jobs, it kills the incentive for an individual to improve themselves.

Yes, but it’s not magic.

Working at McDonald’s?

Ramped up employment increases demand. If the supply does not increase accordingly, the cost goes up. Econ 101

1 Like

Well that’s the exception. In most businesses, labor runs between 50 and 75%.

Most of them should be off it in 90-180 days.

I have no idea. It won’t be zero.

Where I started at 14, didn’t take me long to figure out there were better paying jobs though and that was during the end of the Carter admin and early Reagan, double digit unemployment. Not counting seasonal farm work which I was doing at ten. That was before so many illegals when the jobs Americans can’t do now, were largely done by kids for pocket change and were glad to have it.

2 Likes

I was never on min wage more than a month. To easy to show up and move up.