Biden's rope-a-dope vs. Trump

It’s probably overstating the obvious, but this time around Donald has had his greatest campaign asset (rallies) neutralized by an adversary he can’t insult, bully, or distract. COVID doesn’t care how many times Donald calls it Kung Flu - it just goes right on making it incredibly difficult for him to pack venues with his supporters.

3 Likes

To that end…

Not even Alabama is welcoming him and his rally-goers with open arms.

Very true. Biden’s team would be foolish to pull a Clinton and assume the victory is secured. 2016 showed they need to be relentless in 2020 in getting out the vote, particularly in the battleground states.

Just saw this response, thanks for the detailed reply. I agree with you that Trump does have some cards to play, and the Biden camp would be wise to take them seriously.

1 Like

I guarantee you his campaign team is thanking God he can’t go out to rallies right now and try to do the “yeah I did it, so what?” thing with this Russia thing.

I couldn’t agree more.
.WW, PHS

3 Likes

Yep. When COVID makes it so he can’t even schedule a rally in ruby red states? Very challenging obstacle to overcome, particularly because there is no way to counter it in the ways Trump is most adept.

1 Like

No he’s not, another fail.

When you only cater to your base, what’s there to campaign about?

1 Like

I’ve no doubt, but I’m also certain they realize how the lack of rallies severely handicaps him. Like taking his queen off the chessboard before the match even starts.

1 Like

Yeah, that was sorta implied with my #2 point. I could’ve been more specific there.

:flushed:

2 Likes

What is really wild is that had he just stepped aside and allowed the experts and the professionals to take the lead, and not tried to force the issue himself through downplaying and obfuscation, then he would probably be in a pretty good position for re-election, AND there would not be as many dead Americans or the economy in complete shambles. Some may say this was all karma. But in reality, this is just Trump’s failure as President that has cost him this previously held advantage.

2 Likes

He has a record to defend this time around.

The first major crisis that he didn’t create or throw paper towels towards has shown the deep deep deficit in his ability to effectively lead.

Only those who are completely invested in the MAGA can’t see it.

3 Likes

Can’t fight against reality forever.

Reality is going to win.

1 Like

If they have not learned from the mistakes of the Clinton campaign, then they 100% deserve to lose.

1 Like

No, really… he’s trying.
He has no clue what he’s doing (nobody knew mid-east peace was so difficult), but he’s trying.

Indeed. Big money bundlers are starting to see the writing on the wall as well. They are actively making overtures to the Never-Trump Republicans to see how they can connect with the Biden camp now.

The Russia paying off the Taliban scandal would have probably not been a as big a deal if it wasn’t a pile on with all of the other stuff that is going on.

The one thing that he does have is most American’s discomfort with what some are doing with statues…but I don’t see that culture war being enough to get it over the finish line for him… especially with all of the other stuff going on.

The extra payments with the HEROES Act run s out in a month. With that, the extra UE kicker payment goes away. With the Federal Government absolutely incapable of meeting the challenge of getting the pandemic under control and that extra money running out it means that even less money will be spent into the economy and there is a high likelihood of the beginnings of a severe financial collapse in October from unpaid rents and Mortgages.

If that is the case and the Democrats can make the case that it was the GOP that caused this through their stonewalling of support through the Senate and the Executive failures of meeting the challenge of containing the virus, it could very well be a bloodbath for the Republicans.

The party operators who have not completely drunk the Kool aid have to know this.

1 Like

It does feel like an unforced error on his part. Finding a means to rally his base that doesn’t involve spending hours in a packed, closed arena, encouraging following CDC protocols (including demonstrating said behavior himself) - there were other options available that would have been less damaging to his re-election prospects than the route he chose.

COVID-19 (and Trump’s response to it) may well prove to be the x factor that costs him the WH in November. Much more so than any Democratic policy or position.

3 Likes