Biden releases 'gender equity' plan that calls for eliminating cash bail

Because you made the number up.

Why don’t you believe it?

Nah- plenty of conservatives want to get away from wealth based detention as well.

1 Like

New Jersey ranks 50th in forceable rape per 100,000 residents. Your 50% claim is bogus.

Imagine you had a dui and they made the bail a million dollars for you. Is that fair?

It’s the same as taking someone with no money and charging a few thousand dollars for bail.

2014 to 2019
Forcible rape up 50%

1 Like

This “million dollars” seems excessive? In fact, it seems so excessive that I wouldn’t be the only one being assessed this? That said, then I am aware that if I get a DUI, my bail will be $1,000,000.00. Now…the choice is all mine, isn’t it?

1 Like

Bail predates our nations founding. It has one purpose, to allow an accused person to move about freely before trial, yet encourage the accused to appear for trial. And in the US bail is almost surely going to be accomplished through use of a Bondsman, who promises to secure the bond on behalf of the accused for a fee. The Bondsman put up about 10% and agrees to pay the rest if the accused fails to show. The accused pays a fee to the bondsman and purchases an insurance policy through the bondsman. You want to have no cash bail, first offense, minor offense, show for trial. If the accused doesn’t show for trial, warrant issued and cash bond required for release in the future. Fail to show a second time, the individual loses the right to future bail.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand the need to pay taxpayer dollars for poor people to be locked up for nonviolent crimes. What’s the point?

What if he was out, got drunk and hit your loved one head on? Would you then comprehend the point?

Bail reform is examining non-violent crimes.

…and I’m just following our discussion.

If you are asking how I would feel if someone paid means adjusted or no bail and committed a crime while out? I would answer the same way someone who was wealthier and paid the bail and committed a crime while out- mad. But there is no reason to create two classes of people- especially at taxpayer expense.

2 Likes

Honestly this should be a conservative issue. Allowing the State to hold you because you don’t have money seems profoundly unconservative. Y’all want the State to have less power…not more…right?

Thanks, but I’ll side with the victims of the crime any day over the criminal. Ever consider the poverty losing an income earner causes for families?

Cook, a grandmother of six, was among at least 156 people who have been killed since 2018 by offenders out on multiple bonds in Harris County, Texas, the state’s most populous county, according to Crime Stoppers of Houston.

3 Likes

Wait you are talking about a violent offender out on bail because he paid the bond.

You’re making my point. This person had the means to pay the bail and still committed additional crimes. Should he have not been able to be released on bail? That would be unconstitutional.

Siding with victims doesn’t allow us to defy the Constitution. Reasonable bail is literally the point of the 8th.

“The Eighth Amendment of the United States Constitution prohibits the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, or cruel and unusual punishments.

Is it fair to make it $1M for Gates or Bezos?

Is it fair to make it $1,000 for me and nothing for you because of the color of your skin?

1 Like

And again- bail reform is focusing on non-violent offenders.

“Reasonable” and “excessive” is not zero nor is it based on your personal finances or lack of friends.

1 Like

No it isn’t.

1 Like