Are you in favor of date for 1st Presidential debate being moved up?

Whether or not anybody “thinks” votes will be changed is irrelevant. The purpose of debates is to give the electorate a chance to compare and contrast directly from the horse’s mouth.

Of course media involvement has made it ridiculous.

They should have to make their case, get a limited chance to rebut. Not be “guided” by some media personality.

1 Like

Will Biden have a running mate by then? September 1st seems like it’s pushing it.

1 Like

Yes move it up. And both candidates live on the same large stage with moderators also on the stage. :elephant::us:

That is true that independents decided the past 2 elections, but, Hillary was declared the winner of all 3 debates. If debates sway voters, then more voters would have shifted towards Clinton. That didn’t happen.

It is a truism in politics that only a campaign that is losing, and losing by a large margin, asks for extra debates.

4 Likes

Clinton and Obama revealed their running mates a few days before the convention.

2 Likes

Indeed. Good post. Quoted for its accuracy.

You are correct-according to journalistsreport.org only 29% polled before 2016 debates were influenced. Also this report suggest popular Dem candidates peak viewer interest, where as their Republican opponent not so much. Maybe Trump and his ratings will shift this to being exclusively one party or the other. Take a read…

She won the popular vote.

Where can I find this truism?

2 Likes

[quote=“SneakySFDude, post:50, topic:233851”]

Add to that the consensus of those often rendering the verdict declaring the winner are clearly liberals.

I read that as well. Has it been ever been an incumbent? I always thought barring a complete disaster they only helped the challenger because it was free publicity.

It’s almost always the challenger because of the incumbency advantage. Often incumbents will just straight up refuse to debate, even after they agreed to it, if they’re winning handily.

Apparently Sneaky has a much faster trigger finger than I to hit send, lol.

Tommy. The only incumbent since the TV debating era commenced in 1960 who refused to debate was then President Nixon in 1972. He also declined to debate as the Republican candidate in 1968 but none of the other two major candidates in Humphrey or Wallace were the incumbent either.

2 Likes

It’s super easy to see in this particular situation. Trump’s numbers are abysmal for an incumbent president. Asking for an extra debate, a month early when the other three are separated by like a week apiece and asking for the moderators to be outright Trump media surrogates? It ain’t hard to tell.

Don’t believe the public polls. Follow the Trump ad money, shows you what their internals is saying. They pulled their ads out of Michigan for a retool, because they weren’t working. They’re running ads in Texas-Texas!-where a Democrat hasn’t won a statewide race in decades. They’re even buying ads in Washington DC, a place where I don’t even think there is a functioning Republican Party, to reassure an audience of one.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is the fear, panic & desperation is setting in…

3 Likes

So, you think he will? Or will potato head still be deciding?

There has been reporting that Jared is asking the Doctors on the WH task group where we are going to be with a vaccine in late October.

1 Like