Anybody planning to Biden-proof your retirement account?

Most banks now provide financial counseling services. My bank does it for free. The only thing I pay is a flat $4 for each stock trade. There are so many vehicles out there that it is difficult to navigate without the input of someone familiar. But I am having really good luck at having a “ladder” strategy in the bond market. It’s basically having bonds that mature in five year intervals.

I will be happy if Biden follows through with his plan to get the largest corporations to pay their fair share of taxes. I was unhappy that Obama didn’t get some resolve to corporate loopholes done when he had both houses of Congress.

I already have somebody. My question was not about me personally. I wanted to know if anybody was changing strategy to Biden proof.

I’m not worried about all that, the coronavirus induced havoc worries me as well as the Fed out of ammo besides money printing. Whoever wins has to deal with record number of companies going bankrupt, massive debt, coronavirus, and possible inflation rise and negative interest rates. Just watching the price of gold start to shoot up already and indication many investors are driving the price up seeking safety.

The fact the market is this high is at best laughable, imho people should check over there savings/401k etc and see if it needs adjusted, and make sure they can weather a downturn and if so how much. The only thing political that will play a part is corporate taxes being raised unless they add that 30% capital gains tax that has been trotted around for years that would be bad for the market. I think the other things listed above is way more worrisome. I wouldn’t want the job were we are headed.

What is different is that for years trust in handling the economy has polled in favor of the Democrats. However in recent polls Trump does better then Biden on the question of handling the economy.
I think that Biden is smart enough to know that fast and widespread change can have a very negative effect.
If the virus is still a problem come January I would expect that the majority of his attention will be on that.
And anything he does with corporate taxes could depend on the makeup of the Congress. Regulations is another tricky area. And he hasn’t mentioned anything about that subject yet.
As far as me personally, I am in a good spot and do not see the need to change anything. Like most people I am invested in the market for the long haul and have bought into a bunch of very stable stocks.
Awhile back I speculated that energy and telecommunication stocks would fair well. I was right.

Not a suprising claim considering… .

In spite of the economic repercussions from the shut downs it’s only off about 7.5% from it’s all time high.

1 Like

incorrect I did pay taxes. But we are talking about the profits I keep. Or anybody else for that matter. So should I put in my max in an ira. guess what, That money is not anybody elses but mine. I encourage everyone to save something for their retirement. I also encourage people to get with a financial planner because there are certain plans that are taxable, so there is that.

1 Like

No. Are you?

Not really worried about Trump losing. But I will be totally reallocating everything. Gonna retire before the next inauguration.

That’s not the post to which I responded.

Generally you can tell by either looking at the quote to which I’m responding (if I chose to make it visible) or clicking your icon in the corner of the post to see which post I responded to.

Most forumites know how to do that…maybe you require some help?

I’m trading my 1991 Topps baseball card set, which I’m sure is worth $250k by now, in for bitcoin.

Unless you’re early/mid 60s don’t do nothin different. Timing the market is about as successful a strategy as playing roulette. Hey, you might win, but you probably lose.

And if you think you’re smart enough to time the market, you’re probably too dumb to have nice things anyway.

Still projecting your own feelings onto others. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well under Trump I have had to borrow from my retirement to make it through the year.

So any anything better than that would be a good metric.

3 Likes

I’m already well diversified with my investments. I have been for several years leading into my retirement. I believe I’m well positioned to weather the storm no matter what happens.

1 Like

I reallocated mine when i retired. Made it as politician proof as possible 7 years ago.

A nice retirement check monthly plus SS helps some. I took 80 percent of my stock investments out of stock and much of it is in banks just in case of a rainy day.

My wife is in a similar position.

No mate but just look at the barrage of Biden threads over past week or so. Its relentless and Ttump supporters have the audacity to talk about TDS.

If Trump was such a sure thing for November these would be moot discussions.

I have noticed that there has been a shift away from the prevailing thought that nothing could stop a second Trump term. Even I thought that until the pandemic popped up and his abysmal and quite honestly ■■■■■■ up response began.

1 Like

Seems to me that the truth of those threads hit too close to home for you. :man_shrugging:

Then you are voting for him hoping he doesn’t do what he has promised to?

No, I am voting for him because I want Trump gone. You are doing a fine job with all of your Biden will do this and that posts. But perhaps you might consider making your point on why we should keep Trump. We on the left and many on the fence see Trump as a threat to the nation. And I don’t think that there is much you can say to change our minds.

3 Likes

Oh so you’re ok with certain redistribution. Corporate Welfare is ok. Giving money to people who actually need it, not so much. Got it.