Another reason I hate the Police

The example isnt ridiculous at all. Your telling me all the history you have, and then say "Dude, I’m a white guy and as pro police as you can get. Always have been. "

So tell me, why should you being “Pro police” have any bearing on my feelings/opinions at all? I do not like the police. I am not going to start liking them because you and Altair1013 think they are great. I see them as violaters of our great bill of rights and have no use for them. I am not willing to tolerate them for a little security. Because like Ben Franklin said, “he who would trade liberty for a little security deserves neither.”

1 Like

Yes…

I didnt say I hated cops at all. I said I hated the police. Why is this so difficult for you? You still havent answered my question…Is it within the TOS to attribute words to others that they did not say? I never said I hated her. I said I hated the police. Some people might hate lawyers. That doesnt necessarily mean they hate all individuals who practice law. It just means they do not like the profession of lawyers. Guess what? I dont like the profession of the police.

Then don’t bitch.

1 Like

I’m glad it worked out for you. I would never want one of my loved ones having to experience a robbery just so they might could get the thrill of the perpetrator being apprehended. Still, I am happy it worked out well for you.

There was no thrill, it just happened.

There must have been some sort of a thrill since you stated that the satisfaction of them getting caught was worth the robbery in the first place. What am I missing?

I’ll bite. What’s the difference between cops and police?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/23/rios/

Except that Stow’s Police Chief hasn’t murdered anyone, he sounds a bit like the above officer, who used his badge to get sex from women and men.

For a look at the history of law enforcement in the U S, I would recommend Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann. It details murder of indigenous peoples whose land gave them access to oil and the wealth that came with it. The early 20th Century was, according to the book, a time of development of police—many of whom at that time played both sides of the law—and the birth of the FBI.

That said, there are police officers who go out of their way to better their communities. I find as far as traffic stops, a thoroughly unpleasant encounter with one may be a reasonable encounter with another. Like anyone they’re not the same.

1 Like

Cops :: Police
Individuals :: Institutions

2 Likes

The difference is he keeps mis-stating what I have actually said. If it is OK for him to do that, is it OK for all of us to do that or just him?

1 Like

Nope no thrill, just a ridiculous answer to a ridiculous question.

And I see the ridiculous part as you thinking the police are great because they take a robbery report from you.

You folks on the left surprise me the most. You (collective) get all up in arms over a few military guys at Abu Ghraib taking pictures with terrorists. In the big picture, it is really insignificant. But the police departments, especially in the inner cities, constantly and consistently step all over the rights of poor minorities who happen to be American Citizens, and crickets.

You (collective) cant stand the number of people that are locked up in for profit prison systems, but you are all for these bogus laws that are on the books making police get involved in the first place. Laws like not being allowed to sell lose cigarettes, the law that got Eric Garner killed.

It should rest with the police officer not to escalate, not me.

Of course. In a perfect world, that’s what should be. But we live in an imperfect world.

I will choose to not cop an attitude with a cop - not because I believe it is my responsibility to submit to them, but because I don’t have the time or energy to deal with the possible resulting actions of bad cops.

I usually don’t either but I will if ever they try to escalate a situation beyond what they were originally there for.

Like when we were talking about the Henry Gates situation.

Cops were there to investigate a possible break in.

As soon as it was established Gates lived there, it was time for them to go.

If that’s me…and they don’t leave right after that, I damn well am going to get hostile.

So I should hate the cops because they did their job. Got it.

I forgot about that one. But you are exactly correct. The police have multiple interactions with citizens everyday. A citizen might have one interaction with a police officer in 10 years. As a result, the citizen will be far more apprehensive. They should be more understanding and try to deescalate situations. Too often they do the opposite. They actually inflame them. All so they can show someone they are in charge and they have control.

That is totally wrong.

If by doing their job you mean harassing citizens and denying them their rights, then they should get a different job.