Another golden opportunity missed by republicans

He already answered it with action, not just words. But yeah, keep flailing…

Still waiting. Who is “him?”

In Chuck Schumer’s actual words:
“Democrats have offered to pass the bipartisan DHS appropriations bill, agreed to six months ago, which includes $1.6 billion for border security. … It can only be used for fencing, using technology currently deployed at the border, and only where the experts say fencing is appropriate and makes sense as a security feature. This is something Democrats have always been for – smart, effective, appropriate border security.” (Emphasis added.)

Hold your breath. :wink:

The bipartisan 2013 bill would have strengthen the border.

Passed the senate easily.

R House refused to take up bill.

Allan

Why? Are you not going to tell me? Why on Earth would you hold back? That is so un-B.W. like.

I have discovered that many Trump supporters on this board and the ones I have met are more interested in believing Trump’s lies then taking the time to get educated with the facts. And some of these folks once called those on the left “low information voters”. How ironic.

If you are trying to convince me that republicans suck, then no convincing is needed. You trust dems. I trust neither. Sorry, but I think my view is smarter. My question remains, why did Chuck change his mind?

You’re still putting words in his mouth.

How about you supply an actual quote of Schumer supporting a wall - rather than your imaginary statements that he didn’t actually make?

I understand that you’re not actually going to do so, because it would destroy your argument. But I thought I’d mention it anyway.

He doesn’t get it. And he won’t post a link because there isn’t one. He is going to believe Trump’s spin. And then probably wonder why we are all laughing at him. These people do not want the truth. And it is going to be really sad to watch them put their fingers in their ears and scream “La, La, La” when the Mueller report is made public.

They didn’t say no to a wall. They said no to amnesty for most illegals in exchange for a wall. Hopefully they will continue to say no to that.

As been explained to you many times. He didn’t.

Chuck Schumer pre-2016 “illegal immigration is wrong plain and simple”

Chuck Schumer in 2018:
“Democrats have offered to pass the bipartisan DHS appropriations bill, agreed to six months ago, which includes $1.6 billion for border security. … It can only be used for fencing, using technology currently deployed at the border, and only where the experts say fencing is appropriate and makes sense as a security feature. This is something Democrats have always been for – smart, effective, appropriate border security.

Also Chuck Schumer in 2018:
SCHUMER: We have a proposal that Democrats and Republicans will support to do a C.R. that will not shut down the government. We urge you to take it. …It is very good border security.

Altair1013: “Why did Chuck change his mind?”

This whole thread would collapse if Altair1013 could admit that he got duped by Trump’s video. Trump claims that Schumer’s position has done a 180, when in reality there is no contradiction between what Schumer said before the election and what he has said in the past week. Confirmation bias makes Altair1013 an easy mark for Trump’s propaganda.

Eat your peas!

They said no to increased border security. As has been said plenty of times already, we don’t need a wall. There won’t be a wall. We aren’t getting a wall.

The border is a top 2 R campaign issue. If we even remotely successfully attempted to address it, that would take away one of their favorite election bogeymen.

We had a chance in 2013. We had a chance during the last budget showdown where Trump was offered some money for a wall.

Republicans don’t want this issue to go away. They need the bogeyman.

The wall is the current Republican means to that end. “If Democrats don’t give us our wall, then we will do NOTHING regarding the border.” The R MO for the last 2 years has been to blame Ds for their failures to act. 2018 proved that people are starting to see through the act. I don’t think crying “wall wall wall” for the next 2 years is going to work well for 2020. I could be wrong.

As my colleague Tara Golshan writes, the difference between the $1.3 billion in wall funding Trump has and the $5 billion in wall funding Trump wants is $3.7 billion — peanuts in the context of the $4 trillion federal budget. There’s plenty Trump could offer House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer in return. Trump is, after all, the great dealmaker.

But Trump’s offer is, well, nothing. Rather than invite Pelosi and Schumer for a private negotiation, Trump asked them to the Oval Office for a public showdown in front of live cameras. “It’s called transparency,” Trump said. But it’s not transparency. It’s posturing.

I agree with this article. Trump knows that he has to have some distractions going to combat the ■■■■ that is about to hit the wall regarding Mueller, Conan, Manafort, etc.

There was no clean border security bill in 2013 that was rejected by Republicans.

The Obama poison pill of amnesty, as failed in 1988, was attached.

If Dems think Trump doesn’t want the wall but just wants the issue, then vote for a clean wall bill and trick him.

There’s no reason they can’t be in the same bill. The only thing ever stopping it is far-right GOP petulance.

The 2013 bill did a lot for border security-things both sides have long wanted, but not a wall.

If the only thing that will satisfy far-right wingers on immigration reform is deporting all illegals (because anything other than that is, at a minimum, de facto amnesty, and a wall, then we’re literally never going to get another piece of immigration reform passed in this country. The only people holding their breath, refusing to budge on immigration is the far right.

I would love to have you show us that Chuck ever DID say he was in favor of a wall before he was opposed. Right now, you are the only one making that claim.

Someone is refusing to let go of his strawman argument.