Amy Coney Barrett

Every time people think they know what trump thinks… whamo!

i think that too.

I don’t claim to know what Trump thinks. I do have a much better handle on what the Federalist Society thinks.

There’s a decent chance Trump will go rogue and pull someone out of a hat. But I suspect he’ll do what he’s already been doing for years, which is nominate whoever FedSoc tells him to.

well great then, that means they told him to nominate brown to the federal bench to begin with.

I’m sure they did.

then they shouldn’t oppose her elevation. great news!

politically, its his best move.

Brown has only been on the federal bench for a year.

FedSoc wouldn’t oppose her as the nominee - that’s not how this works - but they won’t suggest her, either.

And so far, Trump has almost universally followed their suggestions.

because its been politically advantageous.

Brown would be the best move in that regard. But I do agree, its almost certainly Barret

I don’t know if that’s true.

To the type of voter who cares about the specifics of SCOTUS nominees, Barrett has been groomed for this.

And she’ll still be groomed to replace Thomas, Breyer or Alito after Trumps reelection. All are over 70. At least 2 will be replaced by the winner of this election. The political implications have to be considered. Brown, is clearly the best choice politically.

Why do you think Brown will be such a political help?

Trump voters will be equally, if not more excited by Barrett.

Is she on that list? Because that was my thoughts. Trump will name only from that list he gave.

Trump voters are not the issue.

Trump has done a lot of outreach to the African American community. Nominating an African American woman may be enough to get him a slice of the AA vote big enough to ensure Biden cannot win.

Not to mention the position it puts democrats in, once again opposing an AA nomination to the court, which would likely keep some voters who otherwise may vote for them home.

Because we all know how well Thomas helped Bush Sr. with the “black vote” in 1992, right?

I think you’re putting too much faith in cliches. Nominating Brown for SCOTUS won’t make black people vote for Trump.

sadly, no. but he could change it

nope, don’t need a huge push, just enough

anything more than 12% will do.

I honestly don’t know what to say to this.

I agree. Trump might win over some black voters, but just suppressing the black vote, so some stay home, benefits him too.

and the democrat reaction will suppress democratic AA turnout

best of both worlds

its politics. and smart politics.

let AOC “radicalize” over a black woman nominee
let Kamala complain about how its really a sign of systemic racism
let joe tell her if she accepts the nomination “she ain’t black”

1 Like

Steeping away from any comments that might get me trouble, let’s look at the map.

There are only a few states that matter this year. Florida, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, North Carolina, Arizona, etc.

In those states, if we are going to reduce politics to low-level demographics - in which of those states would the nomination of an African-American conservative female Justice, opposed to a White conservative female Justice be politically valuable?