Amazon cancels NYC headquarters because of political opposition

Fulfillment centers employ low skill, low wage jobs in often some pretty deplorable environments.

The HQ was going to be high skill jobs, engineers, etc.

NYC has an unemployment rate of around 4 percent. Jobs, they have.

It’s a luxury that comes with being the largest city in the most wealthy country on earth.

Now, I think the billions the state was “giving” Amazon is overstated. They weren’t going to collect as much taxes from them as they would have without a deal, but it was still more than zero, which is what they are now getting from Amazon.

But consider the land needed to make this work, and the potential revenue generated by other businesses using that same land, and it might not make as much sense or generate as much revenue as some would think. Land in NYC and its suburbs is very valuable stuff indeed.

Now, take that same offer and make it in Detroit, where land is cheap, and its impact would be far greater. Same with Red States, but large and successful metro areas are doing well at the moment.

OAC had nothing to do with Amazon’s decision, but if folks in NYC saw this as being bad for their citizens they have every right to speak up, that is their job. And she has every right to laud their efforts if she so chooses.

It’s a common practice in every city. From what I saw it was wanted by the majority of NYC and the governor and mayor tried very hard to get them there.

But it’s your all’s decision but the wealth and opportunity it brought to Seattle made the 3 billion incentives look like Zimbabwe dollars in the long run.

Want to keep the race to the bottom by companies that need no government goodies billions to set up shop then go right ahead.

At some point the Foxconn thing becomes more and more prevalent.

The residents in NY will get to decide whether or not they agree with the decision or not, I would imagine Cortez will be fine in her district I am not so sure about the state senators will have to wait and see.

Here is an article that explains what happened with the Amazon deal and how far of a done deal it actually was.

Blame Senator Michael Gianaris And Those Loose Cannon Senate Democrats
“This is the man who delivered the death blow to Amazon deal,” the New York Post blaredabove a photo of Gianaris, who represents Long Island City in the State Senate, and had led the political opposition to the company’s campus.
The Post reports that Gianaris rejected three invitations from Amazon to meet one-on-one, and that his appointment by Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins to the Public Authorities Control Board, which would need to unanimously approve the current deal for it to move forward, “put the deal over the cliff.”
But Gianaris hadn’t even taken his seat on the PACB, because Stewart-Cousins’s recommendation still faced one more obstacle: Governor Cuomo’s approval. If Cuomo wanted to send a signal to Amazon that he was still in control, why not state that he would veto Gianaris and ask Stewart-Cousins for another name? (Gianaris’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The governor’s office declined to comment on the record for this article.)

and continued.

Maybe Amazon’s Decision Was Amazon’s Decision?
Of course, Amazon could have avoided much of the state legislative intrigue, and silenced critiques of backroom dealing if they had gone through the city’s public land use review process to build their new campus, like any other developer.
But Mayor Bill de Blasio, who pushed for the deal, albeit tepidly, told Brian Lehrer on Friday morning that the company refused to consider it.
“If I had said, ‘Hey Amazon, you’re going to have to wait a year-and-a-half for the full land use process,’ I guarantee—guarantee—they would have said, ‘Sorry, we’re going to Virginia, we’re going to Dallas, we’re going somewhere else,” and then all of you Brian, respectfully, would have said, ‘How on Earth did you lose 25,000 to 40,000 jobs,’ so, there’s a lack of integrity in this debate, people should come to grips with it."
The mayor added that he was blindsided by Amazon’s about-face.

So the situation is certainly more complicated than AOC BAD!

keep out businesses because have enough jobs?

AOC had nothing to do with it?

policy comms at Amazon feels differently.

Are you going to ignore the serious downside of having the HQ there? Are you going to ignore popular discontent that their tax dollars are going to subsidize a trillion dollar company?

The HQ seemed to be pretty unpopular and getting more unpopular as time went on.

no. i’m just not going to let leftist nonsense outweigh the good that many jobs in the area would bring

proof please

I’d be interested in hearing what your area should be offering Amazon to come.

Good for who exactly? For the residents of the area whose rents get jacked up? For the taxpayers who are subsidizing it?

AOC was elected.

thats not proof

stomp your feet

“jobs are bad” yeah i know

lets hope dems keep running with that

what a world

yeah me too ok thanks

You’re wrong.

Sometimes there are unintended consequences.

Not arguing with the findings but I would put more weight on what the locals wanted then someone at the other end of the state.