Alcohol Detection Systems Will Now Be Mandatory In All New Vehicles

“Non-invasive”? So it detects alcohol in the passenger compartment? That pretty much negates the concept of “designated driver.”

You know what. My bad. I read that way too fast. I thought it operated as some sort of breathlyzer you would breath into.

I don’t know how I feel about their tech though.

More infantilization from the authoritarian high modernists.

Good news is we won’t have to worry about it until they figure out how to test it through a face diaper.

5 Likes

That’s what I’m wondering. What if the passengers are all drunk?

Designated driver? Good question.

Supposedly it detects breath. if you get into a car with 4 other drunks, at some point in time the average breath in the vehicle will be considered drunk, right? Even if the driver is sober.

2 Likes

Oh and what happens when the Chinese capture a large portion of the US auto market, as they are poised to do. Everyone ok if China can shut down millions of US cars?

1 Like

Going through their website. This tech is still in research and development when it comes to passenger vehicles.

that’s all ok because there are drunk drivers

“It happened on Tuesday when President Joe Biden signed the infrastructure bill that requires new cars have the systems installed as standard equipment.“

2 Likes

due in 2026

That’s the earliest. We won’t see this as commonplace for decades. First, it’s only going to be new cars. That’s after they get past the passenger problem. It’s going to be very difficult to have a system that doesn’t specifically engage the driver and still determine only the driver is drunk.

is there anything in bidens lefty wish bill that makes the trains run on time too?

1 Like

if if’s reqd equipment it will be there in 2026.

wonder how much it will cost us

Creepy as hell, and it will further drive up the cost of owning a vehicle, because you the consumer will yet again be paying for something without having a choice in the matter.

:man_shrugging:

6 Likes

They need to expand this technology to allow it to detect the drivers BMI. To high on the chunky scale, the car autopilots to the nearest gym, shuts down and announces “get your fat ass in their, cause you ain’t going anywhere else today tubby”

8 Likes

…and age detection, “sorry gramps, you’re restricted to the slow lane”

…gender detection, “ok lady, we ain’t going nowhere until you prove you can parallel park”

…teenager detection, “fat chance kid, you ain’t drivin…get daddy to take you”.

1 Like

We should be able to drink a beer on the way from work. Like the good ol’ days.

2 Likes

Lol.

Funny point…

I guess it can’t!

It’s still in the developmental stage. The NTFA still has to choose a system and come up with the standards. After that is established, the auto makers get 3 years to implement it. 2026 is the earliest. I don’t think 2026 is the mandate.